Are the girls okay?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Patoot, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Patoot

Patoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    I got my girls (3.5 month old RIR) on Wednesday. Things have been going great. They don't run away from me anymore, they are eating great, and they seem happy go lucky. They know the coop is home, but are happy to explore their run and even my yard (supervised). They are eating Start and Grow food. They always have it in their coop and have fresh water. The coop is nice and clean too. For treats/other food, they have had some tomatoes from my garden, a few strawberries, spinach, and some raw goat milk yogurt (that I made).

My concern is the poop. Some looks normal and others do not. They have the stinky ceacal poops which I have learned are normal. Some look oily/foamy, but I also learned that's normal. The concern is that when I am out there with them watching, I can see that in addition to the normal poops, some are completely watery. Like almost no solid in there. The pics of the "poop page" would suggest it was from a chicken that was too hot or not eating enough. It's not too hot here and they seem to eat all day.

If they are eating, scratchy, active, and there are some normal poops, should I be concerned?

Thanks for the help.

Bree

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I wouldn't be concerned.

I am surprised that it isn't hot where you live though. I thought it was hot everywhere right now. [​IMG]

I try not to analyze my chickens' poops too much. A girl could drive herself crazy doing that. If they're acting normal and eating well, i wouldn't give it a thought.

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I think mine get watery poops when they eat watermelon but I haven't confirmed the theory through extended observation. They seemed really healthy when I noticed it so I didn't worry about it.[​IMG]

4. Patoot

Patoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Okay, well it is hot here, but not overly hot. Not so hot that I would think it would cause issues. It's been cooler here and they are in the shade. How hot is too hot for the chickies? [​IMG] I'll put a thermometer in the coop to double check.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Bree

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

If they are drinking more water than normal, they will pass watery poos from time to time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by