Are the hatcheries in for it???

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by cariboujaguar, May 19, 2009.

1. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    My husband just informed me that he was speaking with a friend who heard from feedstore employee's and owners who were informed by the post office that they will not be handling chicks anymore. They will not allow chicks to be shipped... has anyone heard this? Is it just a rumor or what? if it's true the hatcheries are going to be HURTING in a big way [​IMG]

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Sounds like a rumor to me. One that has been around before.

3. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    ?? [​IMG] That is NEW to me!? I don't know if that is true, I just went to our local feed store yesterday, and they had chicks....we talked but nothing was brought up about hatcherys not sending chicks out anymore. (just talked about the chicks and near future breeds they would be selling.) [​IMG]

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Im sorry, but the first post in this thread made me laugh....he said that she said that she said that he said that he said that she said.....that is why Ive learned a long time ago to go right to the source if you want correct information about anything.

If you really want an answer to this, call the post office.

5. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    I would be upset about this if this is a rumor or is true

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    According to the Bird Shippers of USA, that rumor has been flying around in the last four to five years. There was alot of protest going on and the airlines finally took on the job to ship chicks.

So no worries there unless bird flu rears its ugly head again!

7. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    well it was all 'he said she said' because you don't know the people he talked to (But we do, so we somewhat trust the source) so I was keeping it vague, but it is funny, I know :p

The case made was that the post office was sick of the drama, too many people angry over their dead chicks, too many orders abandoned etc... I can't imagine what would happen if they really did stop...

8. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    I would not be surprise if they did put a stop to it. This year more chicks have been shipped than any other. They are still being shipped too. Hubby was surprised that the post office even allows live animals to be shipped thru them. It is not surprising that many chicks end up dead or even lost. Heck we dont get or mail on time it seems most of the time. Even our goverment check went to the wrong house on the wrong street. Street had a totally different name too not even close to ours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by