Are theese all females?

Alex S

Songster
Nov 20, 2020
Kirkland, Washington
So the feed store said they should all be female Buff Orpingtons. But I just want to be 100% sure there female.

I can get better pictures if needed

Attachments

• 20210410_090700.jpg
    20210410_090700.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20210409_191137571.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210409_191137571.MP.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 7
So the feed store said they should all be female Buff Orpingtons. But I just want to be 100% sure there female.

I can get better pictures if needed
I had to giggle by what the feed store said looking at the picture. Did they do a full dna testing on all 3 to tell they were female or did they ask the psychic dog in the back?
You won't be able to tell until at least 4 weeks old. They are adorable though!

Just to give a little more info -- sexed female chicks at a feed store are usually around 80-90% female. So if you buy 10 chicks, it's normal for one or two to be male. This is because the chicks are vent-sexed, which isn't 100% accurate even when done by professionals, and at a big hatchery they'd be doing it really fast. Store employees aren't always aware of this. They just know the chicks are labeled as 'sexed female' and think that means 100%. The only exception would be if the chicks are a breed with sex-linked traits (the males and females look different right away). In that case they should, in theory, be 100% female. But, buff orpingtons aren't sex linked birds, so you'll have to wait. Hope that helps, and good luck.

Just to give a little more info -- sexed female chicks at a feed store are usually around 80-90% female. So if you buy 10 chicks, it's normal for one or two to be male. This is because the chicks are vent-sexed, which isn't 100% accurate even when done by professionals, and at a big hatchery they'd be doing it really fast. Store employees aren't always aware of this. They just know the chicks are labeled as 'sexed female' and think that means 100%. The only exception would be if the chicks are a breed with sex-linked traits (the males and females look different right away). In that case they should, in theory, be 100% female. But, buff orpingtons aren't sex linked birds, so you'll have to wait. Hope that helps, and good luck.
Welp there most likely all female, I was just a little panicked. I'm a first time chicken owner and I dont want anything to go wrong 😆

Back
Top Bottom