are ther any non-flighty white egg layers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tommysgirl, Feb 5, 2013.

1. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    other than the Dorking? I am hoping to pick up a couple of Dorking Pullets this coming summer but am putting together a chick order for my local feed store and would like to include a white egg layer or two in the mix. We have a 6 foot fence separating us from our next door neighbor and to protect my girls from his Jack Russell I can't have a flighty bird. Any thoughts?

I love the looks of campines, anconas and colored leghorns but they are all described as loving to fly.

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    You might want to check out the California Greys (Barred Rock rooster x White Leghorn hen). I'm giving them a try this year as a white egg layer.

3. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    The Catalanas that I have are not flighty. Quick and active, yes. Flighty, no.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    My Norwegian Jaerhons are alert and active but not flighty or fearful, and lay a nice large pale cream eggs - and lots of them.

5. tommysgirl

Mar 18, 2012
    Yay California Greys!!! I found this "Unlike most of the white egg breeds, Grays are not flighty birds and are excellent winter layers in cold climates." Plus the feed store can order them for me!

Michael I am in Northern California too, in Lake County. :)

6. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    That's great. I always liked Lake, Mendocino, and Humboldt counties. My home is Marin (Moron) County. The predominant morons who keep voting higher taxes for themselves changed it from Marin to Moron. Anyway, I ordered a few cockerels with majority pullets in case one doesn't make it. If I end up with an extra strong cockerel and pullet, I'd be happy to give them to someone who likes the Greys.

1 person likes this.
  7. tommysgirl

Mar 18, 2012
    Did you find yours in the North Bay? I am not ordering on-line this year and would like to pick up a few chicks locally. Do you know of a breeder? My feed store has changed their supplier and can't get them any more.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  8. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I had to look those up. Thanks for mentioning Catalanas.What a good looking bird. I'd like to find a good source for these birds

9. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Gotcha on the PM. If you can't get them up there, or don't want 25 chicks, you could always order them from my supplier if you don't mind driving a couple hours. First order is March 22.

10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I like my hatchery spitzenhaubens, Yes they can fly up high, but as they mature they have made wonderful mothers and love to be around me and they are crazy looking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by