Are there any advantages to feeding game bird chick starter over that of feeding start and grow for chickens?

SJEP

Songster
6 Years
Mar 18, 2017
Ive found that several people feed their younguns game bird chick starter instead of chicken start and grow feed. Im thinking that wow, the game bird feed is really high protein, in some cases 30% and isnt that a bit much for a young chicken? They seem to do well on it, but still, is there an advantage to feeding this over the other? When I got a couple month old pullets, the game bird starter is what they were being fed, and they had continual diahreha, I thought perhaps due to too much protein so I cut it in half with manna pro start and grow. the poop right away looked more normal. Still, would they have been better off if I left them on 100% game bird feed? TIA

Thank you SourRoses! If feathers is the only reason, I think Ill stay with my half and half mix then which should have me a lot closer to the 20%. I would worry that they high level of protein in the game bird starter would be hard on their kidneys etc. and I cant see how it would help them grow either.

Sure thing!
If you keep it 50/50 ratio, the protein amount is in the middle between the two feed values.
30% and 18% = 24%
So, if you are aiming for 20% you could use less gamebird. How much requires more math than I actually want to do. OR, you could just buy the Dumor grower also made by manna pro which is already 20% to avoid mixing. Whatever works for you.

Sure thing!
If you keep it 50/50 ratio, the protein amount is in the middle between the two feed values.
30% and 18% = 24%
So, if you are aiming for 20% you could use less gamebird. How much requires more math than I actually want to do. OR, you could just buy the Dumor grower also made by manna pro which is already 20% to avoid mixing. Whatever works for you.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom