Are there any breeds that can hold their own better against predators?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by amsunshine, May 25, 2012.

1. amsunshine

amsunshine Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Kansas
    For example, the Polish Cresteds are at a disadvantage due to not being able to see very well past their hairdos. Are there other breeds that are less prone to being eaten? Thanks in advance.

2. Our guineas scared a possum away from the entire flock once... And they will alert the flock if there is a predator or hawk flying overhead. Although we have one EE bantam who beat up a falcon this spring.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If you want crested breeds that don't have a vision imparement, either get Brabanters or Spitzhaubens. Or if you are still partial with Polish birds, band their hairdo to a ponytail LOL!

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    If you have neighbors that you LIKE, you wouldn't want Guineas. They are CRAZY.
    The game birds, depending on the breed, can either fight them, or get away well.
    I got a bunch of red Junglefowl. Very good at getting away from predators. Just don't try to catch them!
    Never lost one to the hawks.

5. amsunshine

amsunshine Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Kansas
    Thanks. We have some Spitzhaubens--I think they are sharp-looking birds. Reminds me of a tux, kind of. We had guineas but they all got eaten. :( No neighbors a mile in any direction so we're good. We can make all the noise we want! Will have to look into the junglefowl.

6. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I have Spitz also, I still trimmed the hairdo on the girls.
    Still too pouffy.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: