Are there any breeds that can hold their own better against predators?

amsunshine

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2010
Kansas
For example, the Polish Cresteds are at a disadvantage due to not being able to see very well past their hairdos. Are there other breeds that are less prone to being eaten? Thanks in advance.

Silkie Chick

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 14, 2012
A Beautiful little homestead.
Our guineas scared a possum away from the entire flock once... And they will alert the flock if there is a predator or hawk flying overhead. Although we have one EE bantam who beat up a falcon this spring.

EweSheep

Flock Mistress
13 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Land of Lincoln
If you want crested breeds that don't have a vision imparement, either get Brabanters or Spitzhaubens. Or if you are still partial with Polish birds, band their hairdo to a ponytail LOL!

stoopid

Chicken Fairy Godmother
8 Years
Aug 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
If you have neighbors that you LIKE, you wouldn't want Guineas. They are CRAZY.
The game birds, depending on the breed, can either fight them, or get away well.
I got a bunch of red Junglefowl. Very good at getting away from predators. Just don't try to catch them!
Never lost one to the hawks.

amsunshine

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2010
Kansas
Thanks. We have some Spitzhaubens--I think they are sharp-looking birds. Reminds me of a tux, kind of. We had guineas but they all got eaten. :( No neighbors a mile in any direction so we're good. We can make all the noise we want! Will have to look into the junglefowl.

Top Bottom