Are there any breeds thats roo looks/acts like a hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by missychicky, Jul 9, 2010.

1. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    I thought I didn't have a roo until I took a close look at the yolk of my eggs and realized thay had the telltale bullzey. Are there any breeds of chicken that the roo doesn't have a spur? Any breeds that don't crow or act roosterly? I've looked over all my girls and I can't find any that look or act at all like a roo. Help? [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    When you say "tell-tale bullseye" do you mean a little red dot? If so, that is sometimes called a meat spot. It doesn't mean you've got fertile eggs. It's just that sometimes, a little something may sluff off the hen's reproductive system, and the egg just forms around it. Some people do get grossed out by that, but even if you eat it, it's harmless.

No sneaky rooster needed for that to happen! [​IMG]

3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes when we had times that there was no rooster in our group for over a month, I'd look at the eggs and still see a bullseye on a few of them. Some eggs just have them for no reason. It doesn't have to mean anything. [​IMG]

4. missychicky

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    wellthe thing is, I let my broody keep a couple of her eggs- and their developing. Weird.

5. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Well, if they are developing, then you have a rooster. Do you have any pictures of your flock?

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I believe the OP was referring to the white bulls-eye which develops from the white spot in the yolk. Since I'm now able to see them, I know what to look for... but until I saw photos of 'em, had no clue.

For the OP: if'n those eggs are developing, you've got a roo either hidden in your flock or visiting when you're not looking!

[​IMG]

7. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Take some pictures of your flock and upload them. We'll help you find the sneeky boy. You gotta give it to him for flying under the radar for so long.

8. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    sneeky!

9. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I agree we need pics!! Oh, and it could be your easter egger, since they have a pea comb, it would be harder to tell roo from hen...

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  10. missychicky

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    here's some pics

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]