Are there any Chicken to Human transferrable illnesses?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CluckyCharms, Oct 4, 2012.

1. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

I just would like to know if it's possible for humans to get any sort of illnesses from chickens IE: Merek's IE: anything else?

Thank you in advance

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

E.Coli, Camploybacter Poisoning, Salmonella, Avian Influenza, and Avian Tuberculosis.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones right off the top of my head. I contracted #2 in the second week of my chicken keeping adventure and spent a full week in the hospital because my bowel was being eaten by the bacteria (very uncommon in the poisoning, but hey - I strive to be unique :rolleyes: ) though it could have been from something I ate.. My dog was feasting on their poop and I didn't prevent her from then contaminating myself with her tongue :sick

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  3. soler

soler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    not mareks nor cocci nor most of the respiratory ones, but yes to:

salmonella (from eating egg and meat)
    e coli
    avian flu
    some kind of enteritis (but you have to eat it undercooked)
    staph infection
    exotic new castle disease (gives people pink eye i think)

there may be others, these are just the ones i know. Most chicken diseases are chicken specific though.

4. CluckyCharms

Yikes...scary stuff! I thought humans could only get salmonella and e-coli from unclean meats or undercooked meats? Ugh,...this sheds new light on things.

What about handling things? Like...hatching eggs for example? Even if a person is meticulous about washing their hands - could they get sick from handling hatching eggs? What other diseases can you get from pet chickens (from handling them, petting them, cleaning their coop...regular day-to-day activities).

5. aoxa

All of those contagions are highly unlikely to affect you unless you are immune compromised. I haven't had anything happen since. It could have very well been the food I ate, and just a coincidence..

I'm not meticulous about washing my hands when handling eggs. I don't even wash eggs.

6. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    There are lots of ways that you can get sick from doing just about anything.

WIth birds, just like anything else, you just need to be clean and aware. If both you and your birds live in good, clean conditions and you are good about looking for signs of illness then I don't think you need to be overly paranoid. A lot of disease, like avian flu come from chickens and people living in the same space in bad conditions.

The more different animals you have the more you need to be aware of their interaction, I, like aoxa had a possible chicken to dog to people scare. I brought home a chicken with round worm. I should have quarantined her first but I was new to chicken and didn't (totally my fault), thus all of my chickens ended up with round worm and my dogs ate chicken poop so my dogs ended up with round worm.

According to my vet round worm can't go from chicken to person but can go from chicken to dog to person. How does that work? No idea. I did not end up with it but I was freaked out. Try to remember to wash your hands and don't let your dogs lick your face. I love my dogs but they are disgusting.

7. CluckyCharms

The reason I'm asking is because I came down with something the other day, and I haven't had a cold in years. =/ Temp is 102, aches and pains all over the place, yellow boogers (sorry for the graphic detail) and I generally just feel like complete crap (never had a cold like this before).

I called the doctor and she said there's a pretty large amount of patients coming in and out of the office with some pretty nasty flu bugs and colds - she said it has nothing to do with my hatching eggs and if it did I'd know it right away. Is that true?

I guess I won't worry/fret too much. =] Thank you for the answers!

8. aoxa

Are your chickens exhibiting signs of a cold? If so, this is not transferable to humans, but not a good sign for them.

Usually the bugs picked up from chickens are gut related. You'll have the runs, sick to your stomach, etc.

9. aoxa

Oh great. That's disgusting.. :sick

My dogs are that way too. They are not to lick us in the face any more, but before they were. I have one dog that licks my feet, but I'm sure that's not going to bother my digestive tract. Unless you know something I don't :oops:

10. CluckyCharms

I don't have any chickens :) I have a LOT of hatching eggs though, that I've been handling a lot (turning them and putting them in the bator, etc)...was wondering if I could catch something from the bloom on the eggshells...but apparently not. I really hate being diagnosed with OCD because it affects everything. [​IMG]

Thank you for putting my mind at ease. There's no problems at all (thus far) with my gut...everything in that department is a-okay. It's in my throat, sinuses and chest..plus body aches all over the place but the doctor said that's just from the temperature. Get the temp down, the aches will subside so I guess I'll try that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by