Are there any decent breeders/hatcheries in central Florida? Lakeland/Plant City/Winter Haven/Mulber

klt1975

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 24, 2012
I've looked on craig's list but so many of those seem to have no clue what they're selling. One had a "barred rock" listed that was clearly a bobwhite quail (wth??!) and with most that had photos I wouldn't take a FREE chicken that was from those living conditions. Google is convinced that I'm trying to find KFC or Zaxby's.

Anyone know a good place that that I can actually SEE what I'm buying?

Tampa isn't that far from lakeland so... I get all of my chicks from Holloways Feed in Land o Lakes (just n of tampa). In the last three weeks I have been able to get Americaunas, Plymouth Barred Rocks, Cuckoo Marans, Wellsummers, White Plymouth Rocks, Black Austrolorps, Black and Gold Sex links and Pekin Ducks. They usually have about 5 varities at a time and it changes weekly. All of the chicks have been VERY healthy and the family that owns the store are wonderful. It's worth a trip over!

Thank you! Hmm, my husband has to go to Tampa in a few weeks. I might just have to find a way to tag along :)

I'm going to give them a call tomorrow to see what's in stock. We were really hoping for a welsummer, speckled sussex and 2 barred plymouth rocks for my father in law. I checked the feed stores and such around here and it's not looking promising so thank you again!

I have to run up there today, so I can post some pictures for you when I get back! I haven't seen any speckled sussex up there, but I did get 2 wellies and 2 rocks. This is a feed store, but they specialize in chickens. They build custom coops and try to get as many "A+" varities if chicks in as they can. I hope you can make it over! If not I'm up there at least once a week, maybe I can pick some up and meet you half way on I-4 or something?

Thanks for that offer :) We were able to get up there Saturday and I am SO happy! Got the Barred Rocks my father in law wanted and I heard the owner tell a lady that he had some older chicks out back. They had 3 week old Wellsummers but we fell in love with a lone 3 week old Cuckoo Maran . We had planned on buying an Australorp but they had sold out but they had a teensy little Jersey Giant that is just the sweetest little girl ever. Those were at the top of my wish list but I hadn't actually counted on ever running across any so I'm just happy as can be!

I don't know where they get their chicks from but they're the friendliest little feathered lap puppies ;)

Awww! I got 2 of your cuckoo's sisters! I got 2 of the wellies from that same run, too. I saw the Jersey Giants, but we are already up to 17 chicks and 4 ducks, and we live in a regular ole neighborhood, so I'm probably already pushing it with the number we have. I'm so glad you were able to get up there. Have fun with those babies, they grow up quick
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom