Are there any good sites for detailed checklists for building a new home?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by reveriereptile, Jan 23, 2012.

1. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I've been searching for a good checklist but can only find ones that tell you to do your financing, find a building lot, get your plans, and hire a contractor.

I'm wanting a checklist that has different items that I need in the house so I know what I will need. I want one that has items like dry wall, types of nails/screws, insulation, stuff that goes under the siding/roofing, or heating and cooling system.

Mainly I don't know what all materials are used to build a house. I would like a checklist so I can look through and see what item I need and figure out what material to use. That would make it better for when I go to talk with my husband's friend that will be designing and certifying the house plans.

2. theotherranch

theotherranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2011
    Is your husbands friend an architect?
    If so, he should know the codes and materials required,
    Not trying to be smart here,but every area has different codes.
    If you have specific questions about what's best to use where or something, plenty of people here can help!

3. reveriereptile

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    Yes, he is an architect.

I just didn't know if having a checklist for him would help him out or give us a better idea of how much we are going to spend. My FIL wants me to make a model of the design to see what it will look like since his daughter built a house 2 years ago and doesn't like how it turned out and would have changed the look if she knew what it would have looked like. I figured with a scaled model it would give me an idea of how much dry wall, siding, and roofing that will be needed along with other stuff.

4. theotherranch

theotherranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2011
    Make scale sketches of room sizes with furiture and appliances.
    Every area has different cost per sqft prices for new construction.
    But it's kind of hard to make a scale model(other than sketches) without a plan.
    This is going to be an ongoing thing with the design,but the friend needs to know price range and size.

5. reveriereptile

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I've been looking at plans online to base our plan off of. I've used a few art programs to move stuff around to where I would want it.

So far we know for sure we want a prow front house that is 2.5 stories (land doesn't slope so can't put in a walkout basement). We went through all the pros and cons of that style of house and been looking at pictures/plans of them for 3 years. The prow front will be facing West for the view and the sun rise. Sliding glass doors on the prow with windows above. I know for sure how I want the living room, dining room, and kitchen to look as far as size and placement on the second story. The kitchen will be tucked up under the loft. Behind the kitchen will be most likely a bathroom. Behind the staircase will be a bedroom. Figured it would be easier to have all the plumbing on the same side of the house. The master bedroom will be on the half story with a walk-in-closet and a full bathroom (above the second story bathroom). Utility room with the washer and dryer (near outside wall for dryer duct) on the first floor. First floor will also be used for a gym, office area, storage, and possible fun area. May put in a room for a bedroom and half bathroom incase we have more than 1 child so the older one can be downstairs for more privacy.

Only thing I'm debating on as far as the rooms is I wouldn't mind having the WIC big enough to convert into a nursery and back unless I use the second story bedroom after the child turns a few months old. Might be easier to have the baby below us so my husband can get more sleep before work.

We or I should say I have the basic layout picked. Just need to get over to his friend's house to talk with him. We haven't decided on the siding, heating, a/c, flooring, and roofing type. Might have to go with the type of flooring my SIL used at first which was a wood that did have the knots in it but it went down like laminate and was only $1 per sq. ft. Can't really beat that price since it would be about the cost of vinyl flooring which our dog would rip apart with her nails.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by