Are there any hatcheries that ship less than 25 chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by jerseygirl1, Dec 28, 2009.

1. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Other than www.mypetchicken.com?
    I only want about 10-15 chicks (assorted) and I don't have an incubator for hatching eggs

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I'd check a local feed store this spring. It's cheaper than shipping, and easier on the birds I think. CO-OP and TSC always has them here.

3. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I tried, we have no local feed store, and TSC sells only sickly chicks

4. SunshineSteedFarm

SunshineSteedFarm Seramatching Equestrian

Aug 18, 2009
    Georgia
    I believe that Ideal Poultry only has a minimum of $25 worth of chicks. And I also think that Meyer Hatchery has a small order program. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Hmm...any Swap Meets or local breeders? I have found some at Flea Markets as well but you have to ask a million questions and watch how some of the people interact with the animals to know how they were raised, and sometimes thats a crapshoot. Sorry you are having trouble finding some. Maybe you could find someone on here that has an assortment and pay them to hatch/ship to you, or if close enough do a local pickup option. I have acquired birds many different ways from one chick to 25, and even more when getting eggs. Just check your options. I would also try Craigslist. That way when you pick up, you can SEE the living environent. Best of luck, hope you find this helpful, that's really all I know to tell you. [​IMG]

6. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Cackle Hatchery -15

7. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    So far, Ideal is the best, no chick minimum, just a $25 order minimum and a HUGE selection

8. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I ordered 10 pullets from Ideal a couple of years ago. There's a comments section on the order form. Specify "No Males For Warmth!" and you won't get any. I had to buy insurance for the order since there were so few chicks involved. It was a whopping $1.65. I had expected it would be much more expensive.

It was early spring, so still pretty cold, and all 10 of my pullets arrived alive and healthy. One was a bit pitiful at first, but she recovered within the hour under the heatlamp. I was very happy with that transaction. [​IMG]

9. abooth

abooth Chillin' With My Peeps

Healthychicksandmore.com something like that. I think the minimum is 10

10. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:they will add extras for warmth unless you specify not to. Roos of course.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by