Are there any peafowl people?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by meggers32, Dec 5, 2008.

1. meggers32

meggers32 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2008
    Mt. Vernon, WA
    I have an important question. About a month ago, the camo where me and my family lives inherited a peahen and peacock and they are just beautiful. Well, at the time there was not a place to put them except in our chicken coop, and at the time it seemed to be ok and we would try to see if it would last until spring and build them another enclosure. Well, recently one of our roosters discovered his voice and dominance and is exerting it everywhere, especially on the peacock. He has now bloodied his neck and I have to find a solution immediately. The peacock is not defending himself and has now refused to go inside to sleep. I am afraid that he is just giving up, between the lack of space and the rooster. We live in a group setting and the person who arranged for the peacocks to come here is adament that the peacocks be let go and be free to roost the millions of trees we have. Well, we have numerous predators, a couple of loose farm dogs, raccoons, cats and a lot of coyotes. Do you think that it is a good idea to let them free knowing they could be lunch for something, or try to find a good temorary home and build an enclosure. I was told by someone who also raises peacocks that I should definately not let them go, but I always love a second opinoin. I need to know from those with experience, what you think the peacocks will do? Will they fly away? Stay? Or just be lunch? My stance is not to let them go, to build an enclosure if we can. We did not do it before because of the weather and money/time restraints of the people that work here. What would you do?

2. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    They are "warm" weather birds. You might want to find him a new home. He need a barn or stall 12X12 with a heat lamp in WA during winter.

3. Tn Gamebirds

Tn Gamebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

I would try and build another enclosure for the peacocks! It is never good to keep peafowl with or close to chickens.

They do need some type of shelter from the elements.

Peacocks will usually roam good distances if let free range. And the predators will be hard on them.

4. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Yeah and sometimes they can make friends with turkeys and roam with them

5. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    Also if they have just came to your area, they will just fly off cuz they are not established there. They have to be in a pen for at least 1 month or 2-3 to know that that is home. When they fly off they can go at least 5 miles or further. The rooster and the cock will continue to fight, as breeding season draws nearer for the peas, the cock will get more aggressive. you need another pen- just like me- I have 2 cocks and 2 hens house together- ok for now only a skirmish or two but soon about mid feb. or april here-watch out feathers(and more) will fly! My problem will be solved in a few weeks-I hope-we have a plan just need time and good weather to make it work.

As for a quick fix -put the roo in a cage in the coop.

I'm not sure how cold it gets there but here the peas could just be in a building to keep them dry- and place to roost above the ground, the cold really does not bother them as long as they can stay dry.

Hope this helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by