Are there any poultry vets on this site

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickencrazylady, Oct 18, 2011.

1. chickencrazylady

chickencrazylady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    I really need some advice and help!
    :(My first Roo who is now 16 months old and a white Silkie was a broken beak, which is lifting off the right side and tip. Silkie-boy is still eating and drinking, no bleeding. I hand raised this roo since last Sept 2010 and he is my first chicken and little man. I have 8 girls in the run with him and also 2 other roo's that are 12 weeks old. Yesterday mid morning when I discovered this injury I took him out and had my hubby take pictures and I put it up in the emergency/injury section of this site.
    Please I really need some advice as to what to do, I don't want Silkie-boy to be suffering because of me being selfish and not able to let go, but if there is absolutely no hope of recovery for him then I will put him to rest!

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Not knowing how bad it is I will suggest super glue... We have used it in the past to fix broken beaks, just be careful to only use a small amount and carefully as not to glue his mouth shut.

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    That is so true about glueing the mouth together. My wife tried that with me, now my upper lip is glued to the bottom one and I had to cut off the upper. Now I don't have an upper lip. Looks strange but I'm still talking.

4. Silver Spring Waterfowl

Silver Spring Waterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

I really need some advice and help!

Call your state veterinarian's office. There are poultry vets on staff. These are the vets that do diagnostics and post mortems for your state. In my state it costs nothing to call and they are always happy to speak to me. It's good to have a contact there. If you have your birds tested for Typhoid Pullorum, you can call your testing agent for a name and number. They work closely with your state's staff poultry vets. You can find your state vet office online in your governmentweb pagess of by going to the USDA.gov site and looking by state for your state vet and diagnostic lab. Help is a phone call or two away.

FYI, I had a young gander puncture and tear his upper bill this year trying to remove a cattle panel from a fence post. Called and spoke to one of my state's poultry vets, explained what we had and he gave me advice on how to help it heal, what to watch for, and told me that if I saw any signs of infection, to call him back and he would fax a prescription for an antibiotic to any vet or veterinary supply of my choice. Strange as this may sound to you, while this was a very serious wound, with proper care, this bird never required antibiotics (or glue) and healed just fine. We did cage him so he could stay clean and rest and his feed was adjusted to something easy for him to eat.

Please resist the urge (if you have such) of running to the medicine chest and administering antibiotics arbitrarily. Folks that do this are making great strides in increasing the number of MRSAs in poultry for the rest of us. Your state vet will know what is most effective and safe if you take the time to contact them. Good luck!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by