Are There Any Processors in Colorado?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mylilchix, Aug 9, 2008.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

We're considering raising meat birds, but I'd like to find a processor near the Denver metro area before we do. I'm not really in the mood to process 25+ birds. Does anyone know of any processors in the area?

Thanks, Sonja

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Hi Sonja, There's one in Elizabeth and one out near (I think) Calhan. Neither close to you. Check out the local yellow pages if you haven't already. Also, you might put a post on Craigslist to see if anyone there knows of a processor closer to you.

Good luck.

3. GlacierNan

GlacierNan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Hi, I'm up by Idaho Springs.
    I came across this processor in northeren CO.
    They are straight across from Wellington on Hwy 14.
    Here is their email [email protected]
    They do small flocks which is good for me as I only have 30.

4. mylilchix

Thanks for the help!! We're debating if we want to raise a flock of meat birds and I want to make sure I have a processor lined up before I do. Hubby is getting a little annoyed with me doing things before we're ready. Chickens before the coop, llamas before the fence is up. [​IMG]

Thanks, Sonja

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    There are actually 2 USDA inspected plants that I know about. Northern Colorado Poulty (as mentioned above) is located in Nunn Colorado. They charge $2.70 per bird or $2.85 if you want the giblets.

I've recently heard of another that's a little closer, in Fort Collins. It's also USDA inspected and they charge $2.50 per bird, and I'm still waiting to get the exact info from a friend of mine. I'll try to remember to post that when I get it.

I personally take mine out to Nunn. They do a great job, but you have to get an appointment about 10 days in advance.

6. tenthingsfarm

tenthingsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2008
    Quote:There's one out near Calhan? Do you have any more info? I've been trying to find one local to me (I'm in Falcon) to no avail, so I just do my own.

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    tenthingsfarm asked:
    There's one out near Calhan? Do you have any more info?

I've talked with a couple of people who have used them, I just need to remember who I talked to and call them. I'll see what I can dig up in the next day or two.​

8. mylilchix

I'd like to hear who the processor in Fort Collins is. It's just a tad closer. has anyone used the processor in Elizabeth? What is there name? It's just about as far to drive to Nunn as is it is to Elizabeth for us.

Sonja

9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Ok, got the info on the Fort Collins processor. I haven't called them to get all the info, but the guy who gave me the info said that he talked to them personally at the Larimer County Fair.

R&C Wild Game & Custom Processing and Poultry
    2520 W County Road 60E
    FT. Collins, Co 80524
    970-493-2384
    970-214-7036

10. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    mylilchix asked:
    has anyone used the processor in Elizabeth?

I know several people personally who've used them and have always heard good things about them. It's been a while since I've heard anyone using them for chicken, so it's possible they don't do them anymore but you could call and ask. It's also possible that they might know of other plants to use.

Here's their phone numbers: Elizabeth Locker Plant: 303-646-4020 or 303-688-2240​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by