Are there any quiet roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by funnybirds, Dec 14, 2010.

1. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Seriously, is there a breed that has a soft crow or are they all half crazed opera singers?
    Are there any that crow less frequently? I know there will be exceptions to every breed but I'm
    just curious.

2. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Quote:I love the crazed opera singers it gave me a good chuckle.
    My silkie is pretty quiet. when he does crow it is not nearly as loud as the EE roo

3. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

The frozen kind ought to be pretty quiet. [​IMG]

4. mprivett

mprivett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Chatham County, NC
    It probably varies from bird to bird I guess, but I know with mine (I have a Dominique Roo) at least he doesn't crow very often. Usually only in the mornings right around 7:00 AM sharp and even then not every morning. I've only once or twice heard him crow during the middle of the day or at night (very unusual for him).

On the other hand, although his crows are infrequent, they sure are potent if you are standing close by [​IMG]

5. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    There probably aren't too many quiet roos but my little bantam Phx makes a way quieter crow than all my other roos.

6. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Chicken.Lytle :

The frozen kind ought to be pretty quiet. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Took the words right out of my mouth!​

7. plantmgr

plantmgr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    That was naughty, but funny.

I have 2 roosters, and one doesn't ever crow. He's got a crossed beak, so I don't know if he's somehow messed up in there, or if the other rooster is just dominant and he doesn't feel the need to crow since someone already is. Not sure how that works. The crossbeaked rooster sits on the nesting box edges too. He was in one with an egg yesterday. I think he's kind of confused. I don't think he can breed either because he can't grab on to the hens' feathers with his crossbeak. I don't want him passing on that gene. I've debated over whether or not to put him in a pot, but that makes me feel guilty. His name is Edward Scissor Beak. [​IMG]

8. Hope49

Hope49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    I had a hen once that crowed just like a rooster. Life is like a box of chocolates.... [​IMG]

9. Stingrayg4

Stingrayg4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I've got a little bantam Columbian Wyandotte that rarely crows at all and when he does it's pretty quiet. I'm not sure if it has to do with breed, age, the fact that he's a banty, or just that he's the smallest rooster out there and doesn't want to draw too much attention to himself.

-S

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by