Are there any RED Silkie breeders out there?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lunar, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Lunar

Lunar Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2012
    Church Hill, TN
    I can't seem to find a thread for Red Silkies, so thought I might try to round up some breeders to put one together. I know of several folks that are looking in earnest for some reds to either add to a flock or create a red one, so I am sending out the call. Any Red Silkie breeders out there? Egg sellers, chick sellers, here's your thread if you have redheads in your coop. [​IMG]

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    the Red Silkie is a very important bird. it will be the Back bone of the "Pink Silkie" project.

3. Lunar

Oct 1, 2012
    Church Hill, TN
    So where do we find them? No one seems to be breeding them to good quality that I can find. And several of us looking would like to find Red. I am hoping some of the breeders will step up and show us their birds. I was unaware of a Pink project. I hope they have good luck with it. But I am looking for Red.

Thank you for your post. [​IMG]

4. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Red is a very difucult color to get right. ask RIR breeders

5. Lunar

Oct 1, 2012
    Church Hill, TN
    Well, I was hoping some red breeders that had been working on these might step forward. I suppose not. I understand they don't breed true and that is why they aren't accepted in color yet. I just really like the challenge of working with them and trying to accomplish something with my own flock.

Thank you for the interaction nicalandia, and the info. I will continue to search and hope to find some. [​IMG]

6. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    they Do breed true. think of them as Buff, but without red Diluters.. thats all

7. HooverHenHouse

HooverHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Michigan
    I have a red silkie roo, He is such a pretty color..but he has some major color leakage. I just figured it was a fluke when he was hatched, I have kept him for this long becuase it is such a pretty color, but need to rehome him. Was hoping someone with a big backyard would take him for eye candy, no such luck yet.

I didn't know people were breeding for the red, would love to see some pictures of these project birds.

8. HooverHenHouse

HooverHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Michigan
    Just looked into it a bit more, sounds like mine is a ginger red...as he has the blue/black tail.

9. Lunar

Oct 1, 2012
    Church Hill, TN
    well, the silkie thread said they didn't...I stand corrected and apologize for my rookie knowledge. You seem to know a lot.....might you be raising reds? Again, I am not trying to step on anyone's turf, I just wanted a different color than the norm in Silkies. I have always liked the reds and have wanted some for a long time. I now have room and have started in earnest looking for pair or trio. I am not trying to start a new project color, I want reds. [​IMG]

I wish you were closer...and would love to see him. How old is he?

Now, I am really wanting to find some if they can stand alone and breed true.[​IMG] Thank you folks for the posts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by