1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are there any risk associated with the Marek's disease vaccine?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cochins1088, Oct 8, 2013.

1. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    I have a flock of mixed ages ranging from 1 week old to 6 years old. I'll be getting a few vaccinated birds, however, I have never vaccinated my flock. I realize that the vaccine won't make the new birds carriers, but it will hide whether or not they actually have the disease.

As far as I know, I have never lost a bird to Marek's disease. Other members on this site have told me that my flock is most likely resistant because nearly all chickens are exposed at some point in their lives. I'd like to vaccinate my flock (better to be safe than sorry), but first I want to make sure there aren't any risks to the vaccine.

I can vaccinate my entire flock no matter what the age, correct? If so, should I give them all the same dose of 0.2 ml?

They will not develop symptoms of Marek's disease from the vaccine, correct?

I plan to share the vaccine with a neighbor and she raises both chickens and turkeys, is it safe for her to vaccinate her flock? even if it's the turkey strain of Marek's in the vaccine?

I received my starter flock when they were already 1 year old and I don't know whether or not they have already been vaccinated. In case they have, would it hurt to vaccinate a second time?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

3. cochins1088

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Thanks for your response. The main reason that I want to vaccinate is because I read that there are many different strains of Marek's disease. I will be bringing in a few new birds and I imagine with doing so, there's a possibility of them bringing in new strains.

So you think that vaccinating at this point would be pointless? even for the 1 week old chicks underneath a broody hen?

If so, than I'd rather not spend the time or money vaccinating, but if it will be at all beneficial, than I'll do it.

4. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, I don't know. Marek's is a terrible disease to deal with, and since its everywhere, I would try to do everything that is possible to prevent it. Its probably too late to vaccinate your older birds, but I would perhaps still vaccinate the 1-week old chicks and any other chicks you introduce to the flock. If you see any obvious signs of Marek's (paralysis, tumors, test results, etc.), then I would cull the non-vaccinated birds and then only bring in vaccinated birds. Hopefully, though, you never have to do such a thing.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2. Doing somethiing is better than doing nothing at all, even if it may not work.

6. Wyandottes7

Jul 24, 2013

7. cochins1088

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota

Since Marek's disease is everywhere, my current flock has most likely already been exposed and they are resistant, correct?

Sorry, I've been told this multiple times, it's just hard for me to wrap my head around. So why are some flocks devastated by Marek's disease? What makes my flock different?

8. cochins1088

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota

9. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, your current flock has most likely been exposed. Since they aren't showing any symptoms, you can pretty much conclude that they're resistant, but thats not 100%. Marek's often only causes internal symptoms, like tumors, so even a perfectly healthy bird might die suddenly of Marek's inside it. Also, if another strain of Marek's gets introduced, them may become ill. Still, many chickens are resistant to Marek's of all types, and if your flock looks healthy, it probably is.

10. Wyandottes7

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by