Are there flowers chickens won't eat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jdgrell, Jun 25, 2010.

1. jdgrell

jdgrell Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    NorCal
    My chickens love to eat flowers. They eat the whole plant down to base. When I plant flowers they eat them. Inpatients, pansies, geraniums, you name it, they eat it.
    Ordinarily this would not be a problem for me because I like chickens more than flowers. However, my wife greatly prefers flowers to chickens. She has threatened to eat the chickens if they eat any more flowers. (I hope jokingly)

They free range and I don’t want to keep them penned. The fun for us is to have them running around the yard.

Any suggestion on flowers they won't eat?

Thank You!

2. emrys

emrys Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Well don't bother with roses!!! I WATCHED my rooster call the girls over to enjoy the lovely, tender rosebuds he had discovered. Shoot, I wondered why that rose hadn't bloomed this year!!! They haven't bothered the verbena or the dinner plate hybiscus. Though they crowd under the hybiscus looking for shade or bugs the blooms haven't been pecked.

3. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Silk flowers?

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    My backyard flock does not bother the iris that I have there. Beyond the iris, there are only herbs.

They pay no attention to the mints and I've got a selection of chocolate mint, ginger mint, spearmint, applemint, and lemon balm. Other than scratching around them, the chickens are much more interested in eating blue grass and white clover than the mints.

Altho' I don't have them in my backyard, there are a number of ornamentals that are in the mint family: agastache, monarda, catmint, and more! I've wondered if they would leave these alone, also.

You can discourage them from scratching by using a stone mulch. I suggest fairly large stones - like double the size of your fist. A hen can be remarkably athletic when she thinks that there are juicy worms under something lying on the ground.

Steve

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  5. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Good luck lol.This is the first year I have actualy had some plant's in my yard.But then again I don't have the geese that always someone left gate open and let them in.I still have new duck's this year and got all new bird's.I have a few flighty OE's that fly over but so far they really havent gotten in the flower bed's YET!.The best GREEN plant's you can have in your chicken yard are I think they are called Yucca bushes.The green is so tough you can'T weed eat the stuff down and they do flower around 3/4 feet.We have had them in our coop area for 6 years they were here when we moved in.Maybe Gladoilia's ... They flower when tall also I plant more of those this year too.

6. Ours don't seem to bother the geraniums in pots, marigolds, lillies or coneflowers.....good luck!!

7. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    Fortunately, mine don't eat any of my flowers (they have turned my beds to crap though). I have yarrow, purple sage, irises, multiflora rose, dianthus and hollyhocks.

8. MrsStephan

MrsStephan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    Sounds like the same plants that deer don't like. Although deer and chickens both seem to try anything at least once. My chickens actually ran away from some mint that I tossed in the coop. Probably don't like strong smelling plants.

9. tinahoak

tinahoak Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Brockport, NY
    nothing is safe. what they don't eat they dig up!

10. vajrajen

vajrajen New Egg

Jun 9, 2013
    my girls ate all of my mint - every last bit. they also loved my sweet peas, impatiens, dahlia and fever few. i am going to try some of your suggestions - verbena, coneflower, marigolds, hybiscus. thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by