Are there hens that just don't ever lay??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pip's chicks, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Pip's chicks

Pip's chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    Central AR
    I have a standard buff brahma...and I know they tend to be late bloomers but going on 7 months now. Her comb has been red for about 2 months now. She is healthy, happy, and gets plenty of fresh veggies, laying pellets, and treats. No eggs yet. I quess I was wondering if there is such a thing of a hen that has never layed eggs? I know I know...patience and give her time! I will, but it is driving me NUTS [​IMG][​IMG] LOL

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Brahma's are late at laying. And then they tend to not lay well and when they do it is medium size eggs at best. We raised Buff Brahma bantams and gave it up because of their laying inabilities. We also had a pair of light standard Brahmas and we got rid of them ay 8 months because they still had not laid. Just the breed.

3. Pip's chicks

Pip's chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    Central AR
    oh wow! 8 months old huh? I might go the same route you do..and give on that breed! LOL Thanks

4. keds45

keds45 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    I have an easter egger that as far as I can tell has laid one egg in the last 12 months. She is 18 months old, and molting for the second time. She's my only EE so I know for sure which eggs are hers. Other than that, she seem fine. Go figure.

5. chickeninfested

chickeninfested Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    I also have an easter egger who doesn't lay. She is going thru her first molt now and has never laid an egg. She is over a year old. Austrolorps and Blue Andalusians seem to be early layers.

6. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I don't remember how old our light brahma was when she started, but she lays a few eggs a week now. She has a big personality, so even if she didn't lay many eggs, I'd keep her around just for the entertainment factor. We have a hatchery black copper marans, though, that almost never lays eggs. We might have collected a dozen in a year.

7. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    Look up Egg Yolk Peritonitis. I had a BO that hadn't laid for months and knew nothing about this disorder. It may or may not be your issue. Some of your pullets may just be late starters.

8. chickeninfested

chickeninfested Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    our austrolorp lays large brown eggs every day.they used to be double-yolks.

9. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    Silkie's barely ever lay [​IMG] My silkie pullet has laid 6 eggs in her lifetime and she is about 8 or 9 months old

EDIT: I know you weren't talking about silkies, I just wanted to be part of the conversation because I don't have brahmas [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  10. Lynndaybrown

Lynndaybrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Maryland
    I have an easter egger that didn't lay until december- and she was a march hatch- I actually thought she must be laying brown eggs because she was so old until one day low and behold there was a green egg amount the browns. She's laid 4-5 eggs a week every since her first. So hang in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by