are there pictures of eggs to help identify who's (which bree laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by siouxbee, Nov 30, 2007.

1. siouxbee

siouxbee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    My girls, born the last week of April, are SLACKERS, just like me ;-) But finally, this week, one of them dropped a present for me! And then another yesterday. They seem to be the same size, shape and general color, but the second one has a more speckled appearance than the first.

I have gold laced wyandottes, blue laced red wyandottes, an auracana, and a speckled sussex. I suspect one of the latter two, because the egg is relatively thin, long and pointed, compared to what I thought I'd read about wyandotte eggs, that they're wider and more rounded.

Are the speckles just one of those "working out how to lay eggs" things or do you think I have two chickens donating to the cause? Any help is appreciated! Here's a pic to help -- I couldn't find a place online that had sample eggs for each breed. Does such a thing exist?

[​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Eggs vary between every chicken and only thing you can really generalize is if the breed lays, white, brown, dark brown, green or blue eggs. Even then there are exceptions and variations. Usually speckles are a quirk in starting to lay. In older birds, it can be a sign of lacking calcium.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have some hens whose eggs have speckles one time and not the next and I know for sure who is laying what almost 100% of the time, too. The eggs are always the same color, but not always the same tone or with the same amt of speckles, either.

4. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I thought auracanas (you have a pure auracana!) layed blue eggs. This isn't photos but it may help a bit: http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

You may just have to catch 'em in the act and remember what shade ea one lays. That's what we did w/ all our brown eggers.

5. doghamstyluv95

doghamstyluv95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    I've been trying to figure out which one of mine have which egg but I have given up. The only eggs I can associate with one particular chicken would be my Golden Campine's eggs since they are white and she is the only white egg layer that we have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by