Are there signs a Hen is going broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Biddieacres, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    I wanted to ask because I noticed my hen started sleeping in the her nesting box instead of the roost. I didn't get a chance to gather eggs today so I went in tonight and tried to get the egg out from under her. She made a crazy sound. Not sure if it was a get away sound or a startled sound.

Is this the beginning signs of a broody?

She did this two night ago but then went back to the roost. Tonight, back in the nest. [​IMG]

This is the EE girl in my avatar doing this. She will be 1 May 6th if that means anything.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Yes - sounds like it

- spending all their time on the nest, especially at night
    - makes growling sounds at you when you reach under her
    - huge smelly broody poos
    - quit laying eggs

Congratulations! What are you going to hatch? [​IMG]

I love broodies [​IMG]

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Saw your edit

If she were truly broody she wouldn't roost with the others - she'd sleep in the nest. She may be thinking about it and "practising" so she may go full-broody soon.

4. Biddieacres

Mar 31, 2008
    Haha yes, that is what I thought...it seemed like she is practicing. This should be interesting! I only have enough room for 2 more.

Ideally, I would be so happy with a silkie and a buff orp. I just don't know where I would get only 2 fertile eggs of that specific breed. But we shall see. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Biddieacres

Mar 31, 2008
    By the way, I saw you said "huge smelly broody poos"!!! This may be a silly question but...since they don't leave the nest, do they do those poos in the nest??? [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  6. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    They usually leave the nest 1 time a day to eat/drink and poo. Some days they don't seem to leave the nest. Yes, they are stinky poos [​IMG]

7. Biddieacres

Mar 31, 2008
    Well it is official, she has been on her nest all day long. I am going to try to get some fertile eggs. Does anyone know where I can get 2 Buff Orp eggs????

8. Biddieacres

Mar 31, 2008
    *UPDATED* to say that I got eggs! [​IMG]

9. springchick91

springchick91 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2010
    belgrade, mt
    i had tought my chicken was going broody but i wont know cause my parents took the eggs from her and know i wont know cause this is the first time that she was on a nest and she was turning the ggs but she may never do it agen. the only reasion she had a clutch was becasue she hid the nest from us. whats teh chances she will with out having to not take her eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by