1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are there ways to increase hatch rate?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NHchicks, May 12, 2011.

1. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    My first hatch rate last year was about 65%. I talked to someone recently who said their hatch rate was 50%. Those rates seem low to me. I know my problem was probably that the hen was sitting on too many eggs - 16. No wonder. But I don't think that was the case with this other person, and she was wondering why her hatch rate was so disappointing low.

Any ideas on why a hatch rate might be low, or ways to boost it? These are hen-hatched eggs, not incubated. Maybe hen-hatched are just lower than incubated anyway.

2. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    With my hens I have always have 99% hatch rate. Are you sure all the eggs were fertile?? What kind of Mama hen 16 is alot Thats way to low in my opinion did the chicks not make it out of the shell?

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  3. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Yeah, some just didn't hatch. It was our first time, there were 4 hens laying, and it could be that some of the eggs were older than others, if that matters.

I suspect that she couldn't keep all 16 warm, and some would pop out, and probably got too cold. She went broody mid to late April, I remember. Mama was a RI Red.

2 of them just got squished in the nest on hatch day, I think the mama stepped on them. One got stuck in the shell, that was sad, we didn't realize it till it was too late, his feet were broken thru the bottom and he couldn't push his head out.

8 or 9 made it safely.

This time I had to buy fertilized eggs so I know there are five, and we'll stick with that I think. It will be interesting to see how many hatch. I got them from the woman who was complaining about her 50% hatch rate. She has 5 dominique hens and one rooster.

99% hatch rate is high! Wow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by