Are there wild bird eggs that can be incubated for release?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Irajoe, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Irajoe

Irajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    South Carolina
    We live on a lake in South Carolina and would enjoy repopulating the wild bird population. I've read many articles about why or why not this practice is a good idea for quail and ducks...to the extent that I'd choose to err on the side of caution and not release either if them. I'm also aware that local laws must be checked prior to considering any release program.

My question: Is there a wild bird whose eggs are sold for incubation that could be successfully released into the wild (provided local laws permit the release)?

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    With proper permits, most wild waterfowl and upland game birds can be incubated and released.

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:I think that's only for captive bred birds if im not mistaken? I dont' think you're allowed to take wild eggs for hatching even with permits for raising and releasing I highly doubt it also includes (in most cases) taking from the wild. Someone correct me if im wrong [​IMG]

4. moduckman

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    I have to agree. I guess the question is why hatch and release? You can hatch and release upland game birds. This is done a lot on game farms and game ranches. As for waterfowl, I am correct that they can be hatched and released subject to proper permits, but I do believe the permits are nearly impossible to get. Mainly because there is no shortage of most waterfowl and, therefore, no need to incubate, hatch and release.

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:I think that's only for captive bred birds if im not mistaken? I dont' think you're allowed to take wild eggs for hatching even with permits for raising and releasing I highly doubt it also includes (in most cases) taking from the wild. Someone correct me if im wrong [​IMG]

True most state will not permit taking eggs or birds from the wild.

Permits for raising gamefowl,and waterfowl, easy to get in most states. Ifyou get your birds or eggs, from someone with permits. They should give you the paper work so youcan get a permit.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  6. moduckman

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri

True most state will not permit taking eggs or birds from the wild.

Permits for raising gamefowl,and waterfowl, easy to get in most states. Ifyou get your birds or eggs, from someone with permits. They should give you the paper work so youcan get a permit.

However, one sticky thing, if you get captive wild birds, I do not believe their offspring can be release back into the wild.

7. Irajoe

Irajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    South Carolina
    I'm sure appreciative of the input.

8. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:True most state will not permit taking eggs or birds from the wild.

However, one sticky thing, if you get captive wild birds, I do not believe their offspring can be release back into the wild.

Some can depend on state laws, here pheasant and bobwhite quail you can,but not wild turkeys.

Most Waterfowl need a federal permit, and their eggs and birds are protect . So taken them from the wild will be breaking the federal law.

9. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Only birds I know you can remove their eggs or birds would be Common pigeon,startling , and enlish sparrow. Only ones legal here in Ohio.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  10. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:same here in PA [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by