1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these 2 eggs not going to hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sabrina24, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Sabrina24

Sabrina24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2015
    We had 6 eggs under our broody hen. One we threw out on day 18 because it had not developed past a week. One of the remaining 5 we couldn't see well because it is a blueish egg. We had 1 hatch on day 20 and 2 on day 21. Two eggs are left and they are on days 23 and 24. The hen is still sitting there and seems content. Yesterday and today she got up and pooped just outside the box, today I happened to see it and she wandered around outside the box with the chicks for a few minutes. When I went back 30 minutes later to check on them they were back in the box. We are leaving either tomorrow night or early friday for a few nights (we have someone coming by 2x/day to check on them) and I'd like to move them to a bigger box before we leave. Is it ok to move the eggs or should I assume they are not going to hatch? I don't think they smell rotten. Should we candle them? The eggs are starting to get dirty, it looks like it is probably poop from the chicks. Any tips would be appreciated, this is our first time hatching and with babies.

2. Elky

Elky Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    In the Chicken Run
    I have had late chicks on days 25-27 so if you don't see any signs of rotting I would leave them be. Candle them though and this late in the process if they arnt moving in the egg I would throw them out.

3. Sabrina24

Mar 27, 2015
    We moved them tonight and they seemed to take well to it. We candled the eggs but could not tell if they were moving or not. There was a good air sac in both and we could see a chick and tell that it had feathers. I don't think there is any sign of rotting, they usually smell before they explode right? We have family checking on them while we are gone so I will have them keep an eye out.

4. Elky

Elky Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    In the Chicken Run
    Well I would say give them a chance to hatch, but if they don't hatch in a few days I don't think they will.

5. Sabrina24

Mar 27, 2015
    They still haven't hatched. Guess I need to throw them out. So sad and hard to do when we could see the babies inside. =(

6. Elky

Elky Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    In the Chicken Run
    [​IMG]Yeah I understand, it really is sad

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by