Are these 2 the same breed / sex? PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DottieMarie, Jun 23, 2008.

1. DottieMarie

DottieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    South East MI
    We have 3 Isa Browns and were told they were all pullets but 1 of the 3 looks a bit different. I've noticed the difference for over a week and they are only 2 weeks old. One has feathers on it's wings that are much shorter then the other 2 chicks.

The first 2 pics are the same bird and the last 2 are one of the other birds.
    Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please let me know what you think.
    Thanks!

2. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I have never seen Isa chicks before. They are very pretty. I really can't see any difference in the pics except the color in the wings. Maybe there are just variations. I always watch the stance and attitude and leg size for obvious indications of cockeral.

3. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    what r Isa Browns? i have never heard of that breed before, i'm curious what they r, beside's cuties. [​IMG]

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've never had Isa Browns either but I do know most chicks are hard to tell gender til they grow out alittle more like 4 or 5 weeks.....

Most chicks don't grow out at the same rate and some same gender can have different coloring ... look for cockerals to get larger red combs and wattles starting...

5. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    They are both the same breed. I am pretty sure they are sex-links. Color variations are common with sexlinks (different shades of red). And it is possible that one is a male and the other a female, although I think both are the same sex as well.

6. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    Isa Browns are red-sex links. They are all girls.
    I raised up 6. 3 all had more tail feathers than the other 3. Had me worried even when I knew they were girls.
    Isa's are great egg layers. Extra large to large brown eggs and they will start just after they turn 4 months. Because of early egg laying, and they are not in particular large bodied birds, they are prone to be egg bound. Very sweet, good choice for your flock.

7. DottieMarie

May 6, 2008
    South East MI
    OMG I'm full of newness and questions:
    I don't know what sex-link means or egg bound???

I read that Isa Browns are a cross between Road Island Reds and Road Island Whites but that's all I know about them.
    Thanks KrisRose for you're info on the Isa's but I'm concerned about what egg bound may mean....help!

8. KrisRose

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    Sex-linked means that when a dark male is crossed with a light female then the chicks will be two different colors. So when hatched the males and females can be separated. Their are several different combo's of breeds that are crossed and several different names thay go by, such as Red Star, Red Comets etc...
    Egg bound means they have an egg ready to be laid but they can't get it out. Other eggs on there way down then line up behind it in an "egg jam". When one of my Isa's had this problem she stood very still and did'nt move. Finally laid an egg that had a very "rough" shell (extra calcium from being retained in uterus), and then proceed to lay 3 more eggs (membranes only) over the next 3 hours. Poor girl.
    If the hen can't lay the egg she becomes an "internal layer" and there is really not much hope for the her at this point. If you can find a vet who treats chickens and you are willing to shell out the money then she might be saved.

9. DottieMarie

May 6, 2008
    South East MI
    How do I know if this is happening? Since I have a total of 15 chickens, I won't know who has layed an egg and who has not.
    Again, thanks for the input!

10. KrisRose

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    You will know. Chickens are busy little critters. Always pecking and scratching. When everybody BUT one is busy then you need to go check them out. When its time for a nap they are in a group. Usually not alone.
    Sometimes its a false alarm, but after your first egg bound hen you will spot them right away.
    But you should'nt worry just yet!! Your chicks got a ways to go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by