Are these 6 week olds considered "fully feathered"?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NicInNC, Dec 27, 2009.

1. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have a brown leghorn and one that we think is a black leghorn that are a little over 6 weeks old. Can they now spend the day outside in the run in 45-50 degree weather on a sunny day?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    YES they look good...... fully feathered IMHO

3. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    They look just like my 6 week olds, who spent their first night outside on Friday. [​IMG]

4. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Well, I don't consider them truly "fully feathered." However, by that age mine are always sleeping outside, even into the fifties and forties. They look just fine for playing outside during the day. I'm of the opinion that they feather faster when exposed to some cool temps.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I'm of the same opinion. Mother Nature takes care of her own. If they have a need to feather faster, due to cooler weather, it'll happen.
    Just watch for signs of chilling. If they stop running around playing and start to huddle and peep loudly, they are chilled and need the benefit of their heat lamp.

6. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    It's not working well at all. The other chickens are attacking them and ripped the neck of one. She was bleeding pretty bad. [​IMG]

7. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:Oh no! Well you're first post just asked about going outside, didn't mention anything about integrating with other chickens.

While I haven't had to do that yet, I have done quite a lot of reading about introducing younger birds to an established flock. All most all of the posts say that you should wait until the birds are all about the same size (the younger birds and the old flock). And most mention intoducing them at first with a barrier (that the birds can see through) in between the younger and the older.

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I'm so sorry it didn't go well. 6 weeks is too young to introduce them to a mature flock, as I see you found out. Give them some more time to grow out. They are also not fully feathered. I can see the fuzz still mixed in on the head. I bet if you look under the wings there is still baby fuzz there as well. Most birds fully feather by 8 weeks, however that doesn't mean they can handle these cool temps. It means they can handle about 60-70 degrees and will learn to adjust their body temps for short periods. This is the typical age for smothering due to being chilled, so hang in there and take your time with them as they continue to mature. Best wishes and I hope it goes better next time.

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Totally agrees with hinkjc. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by