Are these 7 Barred Rocks all boys?!?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sarahandbray, Sep 7, 2014.

1. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    My own fault...I got the mixed bag of straight run chicks from McMurray...27 super healthy, very vigorous chicks!! But they're 3 weeks old tomorrow and me thinks I have mostly Roos!!!

Here are the 7 Barred Rocks they sent me. I think, at best, I have one girl, six boys.

Not doing straight run ever again!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sarahandbray

Aug 12, 2014
    3 is the only one I think is a girl :(

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

5. sarahandbray

Aug 12, 2014
    Thanks, McMurray! :(
    And I just figured out that I think I have red sex-link chicks as well. I think I have 5 boys of them and 2 girls.
    McMurray is "reputable" enough that they wouldn't give me mostly Roos of the ones you can visually tell at birth and just throw in one girl, would they? I swear out of the 43 straight-run chicks, I'm going to only have 10 hens!!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X3 on all but 3 being cockerels. I've ordered from Murray McMurray on several occasions and have been satisfied with their birds and service, but for the past few decades, I've only ordered pullets in quantities of 25 (even when I didn't need that many) for this very reason. With the order form to prove that I ordered pullets, I haven't had any problems selling off the extras and recouping my money, but even with the pullet orders, I usually get a couple of cockerels.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Why do you think your red sex links are males.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Murray McMurray markets their Red Sex Links as Red Stars, and as with all Red Sex Links, it's easy to tell the difference between males and females by color from hatching. Males chicks are whitish and female chicks are reddish. This color distinction remains with them all the way through adulthood. RSL roosters are white with a few reddish feathers on the saddle area, and RSL hens are reddish with white underfluff. You should be able to easily identify the gender of your Red Sex Links.

9. sarahandbray

Aug 12, 2014
    Thanks! I don't actually "know" if I have sex-links because it was the grab bag, super special--I have 5 or 6 solid yellow chicks, turning whitish/yellow as they feather out--not red/buff at all on them. People said they could either be male sex-links, White Rocks, or Pearl-White Leghorns. Who knows!! I can post more pics tomorrow...

10. sarahandbray

Aug 12, 2014
    Mystery "white" chicks:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by