Are these a good mix of chickens?

MyGardenHelper

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 17, 2008
Northern CA
I'm new to this. I've researched for personality, # of eggs per week and egg color and came up with the following list. I wanted to get a pair of each, but I found that I like so many of then. I currently have 2 six week old Ameraunanas.

2 - Ameraucanas
1 - Black Australop
1 - Faverolle (this one, I just love they way they look)
1 - Orpington
1 - Plymouth Rock
1 - Rhode Island
1 - Welsumer

Do the above, from your experience have good personalities? That's very important to me. Would you recommend that I scale back on the list and get pairs?

Thanks so much!

You might want to check out this thread in reguards to ordering small quantities of specific breeds. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=127310
I can only vouch for the personalities of Orpingtons and EE (Ameracaunas). All of mine are sweet and friendly.
big_smile.png

Thanks! I was looking at My Pet Chicken. I want to order females...hopefully I won't get a roo. They'll let me order a minimum of 8. I also want 2 silkies.
Thanks again!

I like your list - you will have a very pretty flock with lots of eggs.

You don't need to scale back and get pairs for the chickens' sake, but if there is a breed you are REALLY wanting, you might want to get a pair instead of 1. When we decided to get chickens, my kids picked out the breeds they wanted and then we bought two of each, in case we ended up with any accidental roos. It's usually easy to find homes for the extras.

If you don't mind not having a particular breed if one does end up being a roo or doesn't survive, than you can stick with your original list.

I ordered the following which will arrive Feb 17 or 18:
4 Sussex pullets
4 Ameraucana pullets
4 Buff Orphington pullets
4 New Hampture Reds
I picked these because they do well in cold winters and ours has sure been cold this year!
They are sending males as packing peanuts so I will have some roos. When I find out what kind of roos, I will probably want to keep one to get some eggs to hatch. Whoever is the most mellow roo will get to stay. Haha
Any suggestions about what roos would be good?

Last edited:
for my first order I did
4 Buff Orpington pullets
4 Barred Rock pullets
4 Road island Red pullets
3 Jersey Giant pullets
1 Jersey Giant male

Hen'nbiddies :

I ordered the following which will arrive Feb 17 or 18:
4 Sussex pullets
4 Ameraucana pullets
4 Buff Orphington pullets
4 New Hampture Reds
I picked these because they do well in cold winters and ours has sure been cold this year!
They are sending males as packing peanuts so I will have some roos. When I find out what kind of roos, I will probably want to keep one to get some eggs to hatch. Whoever is the most mellow roo will get to stay. Haha
Any suggestions about what roos would be good?

The Ameraucana roos we ended up with were psychos. They would freak out when we entered the coop and get everybody else excited. They had to go! The Buff Orpington roos are calm and friendly. We would probably keep the two we have now, if the other two Wyandotte roosters we have were not such great fellows and we weren't "over rooed".. I have no experience with the Sussex, or Hampshires to give an opinion.
smile.png

Azelgin, I just saw that you are from AZ. We got to work at a RV resort for 5 months last winter in Casa Grande. We loved it. Staying home this winter because of the economy....
sad.png
If I were closer I would take your Orph roos.

Hen'nbiddies :

Azelgin, I just saw that you are from AZ. We got to work at a RV resort for 5 months last winter in Casa Grande. We loved it. Staying home this winter because of the economy....
sad.png
If I were closer I would take your Orph roos.

If, I had known a month ago you might have wanted them, I could have sent them as far as Rogue River with my brother and sister in law. The're visiting relatives there.
I now see why the Orpingtons are the favorites of so many chicken lovers. Our big yellow chickens may not be flashy, or exotic, but their personalities can't be beat. Always at the front door, in the garage, in the way, talking and following you around.
Maybe you'll get down here next year. Everybody seems to come here for the warm winters, but the really nice time of the year is late July and August, when the rains come. Temperatures are cooler than the summers we had in Oregon. The hills are as green as the springtime too.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom