1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these about to start crowing?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rpmorrison, Sep 25, 2015.

1. rpmorrison

rpmorrison New Egg

Mar 3, 2015
    The person that I picked these two up from, said they were blue laced wyandotte. Looking at pictures online, I believe the first photo is a BLW, could the other be a gold laced wyandotte? They were also both supposed to be females. I got them less than a week old, they are now about 18 weeks.

They haven't crowed yet, but they do look quite a bit rooster-ish. If anyone can confirm, I'd appreciate it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    That first one is definitely male. He's got very visible long, thin, pointed saddle feathers.
    The second one does look male, but I need to see a good side shot that show the feathers on his back better to confirm.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

They are both Blue Laced Red Wyandotte cockerels.

When you breed bluexblue, you get three different kinds off offspring: black, splash, and true blue. The blue gene operates as a diluter - all blue birds are actually black underneath. Imagine the blue gene like drops of dye - no drops, color stays the same (black), one drop, it gets a bit lighter (blue) and two drops, it gets even lighter (splash). So what you have is a true blue (1 copy of the gene) and a black (no copies of the gene).

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

they're both cockerels. I'm not sure how the seller could say they were pullets at a week old. I'd contact the seller and see how they can make it right for you.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both are roosters. One is a Blue Laced Red, and the other is a Black Laced Red.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    x3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by