Are these all Coturnix Coturnix?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CherokeeTradition, Jun 3, 2011.

1. CherokeeTradition

CherokeeTradition Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    To make a long story short a friend I'd gotten quail from a few weeks ago called & told us his dogs got loose & killed every bird he had save for seven of them. (these four that he *thinks* are coturnix (he got them from poultrylady & lost track of what was what, he'd also gotten african harvests(?) & mexican speckled bobs from her as well)

Anyway I was hoping maybe some of the wonderfully informative peeps here could give me an idea what I've got here, as I have never had coturnix coturnix before, lol, just buttons. I'd love to know the names for the colors/ genders if any can be sexed visually, I am learning about sexing so if all else fails I plan on beer sexing them or vent sexing. Thank you guys SO very much in advance, this is my absolute fave forum! <3 I have researched ever since I got them all for 23 pages back so far, & ended up writing out the entire coturnix sticky b y hand for him the other night before it happened, though any tips you're willing to pass on will be greatly appreciated! I am uncertain at this time whether I'll be keeping them as I definitely wasn't prepared for of them but I have them pretty well set up now, I think. I really don't want to stress the poor guys out anymore, though, so I'll most likely keep them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also here's a pic of the hutch he gave me they were in. Is it adequate? Will I need to make any customizations or improvements? I have to have them outside as the ammonia seems so much worse than my buttons & I have asthma. They are in a spot that is shady most all day. I am planning on painting the roof with silver insuation paint/adding more of an overhang asap! Thanks everyone so very much.

2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Yes, one wild or brown roo, 2 gold-Italian-Manchurian, hens from what I can see in the pic, and I believe a Rosetta or range. But all coturnix. Bill

ETA, PIC 5 AND 7 ARE THE BROWN ROO, THE RANGE CANT BE FEATHER SEXED...

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Those are definitely Coturnix japonica, Japanese Coturnix. Coturnix coturnix was the european quail which mingled with a Japanese one and which we today have our Coturnix japonica [​IMG] You have nice colors there. Italian, Pharaoh and British Range/Tibetan. The hutch looks adequate for that number [​IMG] Congrats on your birds [​IMG]

4. CherokeeTradition

Apr 6, 2011
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Awesome, thanks so much, you two! They looked at me like I was loony when I gave them boiled egg, lol, they only had scratch in their previous home. I realllly hope I have one roo & 3 hens as I am considering trying to breed them if I have adequate room for them, etc. Oops, coturnix japonica, sorry lol been cramming about them so many hours a day my brain feels mushy lol!

5. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Everyone calls them Coturnix, much easier.[​IMG] Oh, and I agree all coturnix, no african harlequins or bobwhites. Enjoy them.[​IMG]

6. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    great pictures! pretty birds.

7. CherokeeTradition

Apr 6, 2011
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Thanks! Sorry for not responding earlier, I have been unwell for the past few days. Still can't seem to interest them in boiled eggs, but I have greens growing in the garden & hope to get them interested soon!

8. catsmithpuddin

catsmithpuddin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2009
    haughton louisiana
    I'll be honest, my coturnix have no interest in treats so far. Maybe I have not tried anything they like. Straight game bird feed for them.

9. Funny! These look just like my Coturnix. Brown, Gold speckled, and ?? Range?? I even got 1 A&M and 1 tuxedo

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Pharaoh, Italian, and British Range [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by