Are these all hens or may one be a rooster (pics)?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Littletonchicks, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Littletonchicks

Littletonchicks In the Brooder

May 7, 2010
    Hi there,

Lately I have noticed something different with one of my 8 weeks "hens". One of them appears to be a little different then the other. I am posting pics of my three Golden Comets. Is it possible that one is a rooster? And if so, which one?

Thanks for your help!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. cterbizan

cterbizan Songster

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    All Pullets!!!

ETA: the last one keep a eye one though the waddles look a bit red to me but yet I have two GC pullets about the same age maybe a week or two older so I am no positive on how the roo would look like.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  3. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    They all look girly to me, but you'd have better luck in the "What breed or gender is this?" category. [​IMG]

ETA: Golden Comets are sex-linked, which means their coloring determines whether they're male or female from birth. We found that ours developed quickly too. She was a lovely layer.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Sorry, I have to look at the other end. [​IMG]

5. Littletonchicks

Littletonchicks In the Brooder

May 7, 2010
    Thank you for your replies. I am sooo new to this and have no idea about this stuff. I have read many books but I find that my best information comes from right here. Thanks again and I will try the other board to.

6. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Songster

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    She looks like a girl to me! [​IMG] If it was a roo the comb would be red or at least pink and also be larger by now.

7. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion 8 Years

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Girls

8. theFox

theFox Songster

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    If you have golden comets and they are that color you can rest assured that they are pullets.

I have 18, three of which are hens and 15 of which are a bit older than 9 weeks. Those are young ladies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: