Are these all hens?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by SA Farm, Aug 20, 2013.

1. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I have an idea that these are all hens, am I right? The two little ones are Beltsville Small White and are about 10 weeks old. The one should be a blue slate and the other a bronze, but what is the red one? She's too light to be a bourbon red...any ideas? Those three should be about 15 weeks old. TIA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not a turkey expert, but they all look like hens to me, at this point. It is a little to early to be certain, however. As for the red one's breed, where did you get her? She might be a Buff turkey, but Buffs aren't a recognized breed.

3. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    Since the Bourbon was bred from Buffs, Buffs have become almost non-existed and very rare(that is what I read), but it can also be a BR mix or a throw off from a Buff ancestry. IDK [​IMG]There are so many mixed breeds out there that are un-named ???

4. SA Farm

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, I'm assuming there's some BR in her ancestry somewhere! Thanks [​IMG]

5. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    To me, buffs are any number of turkeys that have two red genes and so end up looking reddish overall. According to Porter's, the jersey buff is black-based with two red genes. Regal reds are black-winged based with two red genes. Bourbon reds are bronze based with two red genes, and so I guess would fall within my definition of a buff. Although I have not yet produced one, a Narragansett with two red genes would likely look mostly red and so be a form of a buff.

The red hen is not too light to be a bourbpn red. they get darker as they get older. The tail and primaries should remain white it its a bourbon red. If it is some other buff colored (red) turkey, the wings and tail may be reddish as well.

But to address your original question, they all look like hens so far.

6. SA Farm

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Okay thanks. I'll just consider her a buff until further notice then [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by