Are these all polish? & help with colors

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by calicokat, Jun 17, 2010.

1. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    This is our recent batch of polish chicks and I just wanted some confirmation from you wise folks [​IMG]

They were hatched around May 15th, so that puts them about 4.5 weeks old. Some of them seem to have much less poof on top - are they something else? Some "almost like Polish" breed that I have by mistake?

There are 9 chicks all together, some frizzle, some smooth. A mix of blacks, blues and silver I think. What is the color for the black with white "spots", would those be splash? Can they be shown, or are they a mutt type color mix?

Thanks for the help, the 4H dd & I sure appreciate it [​IMG]

and P.S. don't tell mamma wyandotte that these babies didn't come from her [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    looks to be all polish to me, Looks like you have blue, black, splash, and a cuckoo or two.

3. calicokat

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Ok, so the blue and black are easy to figure out [​IMG]

But point me to the splash and cuckoo??

And so the smaller poofs, are just slower growers maybe?

4. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    Yep, poofs grow at different rates.

5. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    The frizzles with that are balck with white stripes look to be cuckoo. the lavenderish looking ones are spalsh.

6. calicokat

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Thanks for the quick replies! We've only had WC White chicks before . . . .pretty straight forward, LOL! So this batch had us doing some headscratching for sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by