Are these all pullets? or cockerals too?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gaeamama, Mar 28, 2009.

1. gaeamama

gaeamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2007
    WMass.
    I know it's hard to tell at this age, but is it possible to tell a Buff Orpington's gender by their wings? Or an Aracauna? Anything in particular that helps tell with an Aracauna?

I have 3 BO's and 3 Aracuana chicks that are 8 days old. Help if you can, please.

Buff 1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buff 2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buff 3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aracauna 1: (I'm thinking roo)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aracauana 2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aracauna 3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    There are only a few breeds that can be feather sexed and it needs to be done within day or two of hatching, from what i understand. Aside from that, i think those pics look like the birds are too young to really tell. Most people would have to guess. Wait a couple more weeks, and post clear pics of the combs, a side shot of the body, and you will get a better idea from people. In the mean time, they all look like girls still [​IMG] so just enjoy them.

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I agree to my knowledge you can only wing sex at a day old AND only on sexlinked birds.

Number three looks like a cockerel tho but they ARE still very young [​IMG]

4. gaeamama

Jun 17, 2007
    WMass.
    Oh bummer, don't think I have pix of their wings at a day old. I just keep calling them girls, sending them vibes [​IMG].

Curious why you say #3 looks like a cockeral.. what are you looking for? (#3Buff or #3Ara?)

Thanks for looking and giving your opinions. I'm so thrilled to have chickies.. it's exciting either way.

5. ZZsBabiez

ZZsBabiez Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Central California
    My guess is A#2 is a roo

edited to add

My guess on the BOs is all pullets.

keyword here "guess" !!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  6. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:Agreed.

7. jensing528

jensing528 New Egg

Mar 29, 2009
    Belen
    I have had pretty good luck in telling the sex once the tail feathers start to emerge. The pullets tend to get theirs first. I purchased some straight run chicks that are about the same age as yours and about half got their tail feathers within a few days and now the pullets have full tails while the cockerals are just starting to get theirs.

8. gaeamama

Jun 17, 2007
    WMass.
    Thanks!

I do notice that BO1's the slowest growing, but he also hatched out with some yolk sack unabsorbed.. it's gone now!

9. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Based on their feathering, I am going to say that the buff's are girls, and the Auranca's are- #1 is a girl and #2 is a boy and #3 is a girl. I have noticed that pullet feathers are more layered, while the cockerels feathers have a tendency to be closer to the same length.

#1 - Girl
    [​IMG]

#2 - Boy
    [​IMG]

#3 - Girl
    [​IMG]

10. gaeamama

Jun 17, 2007
    WMass.
    Wow! That's so awesome, steffpeck! Thank you so much. That'd be great if they all do turn out that way. Thanks for your diagrams, it helps alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by