1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these all roosters?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jillanddan, Oct 5, 2013.

1. jillanddan

jillanddan Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2013
    Kansas
    We are newbies to backyard chicken owning and aren't sure what we have. We did some googling and looking on the forums tonight though and we're starting to think we have all roosters.......... :( Someone layed an egg last week without a shell, but we haven't had an egg since. What the heck? I'll tell you what I think we have, but I'd love your expert opinions!

[​IMG]Silver Seabright - rooster (this guy has been pretty vocal!)

[​IMG]Buff O - rooster (haven't heard a peep out of this one - we named him/her Mabel....) The one behind her is a Speckled sussex roo? (Just recently started crowing!)

[​IMG]I couldn't get a good pic of these two, but I think they both may be hens. They're a little weird looking, no idea what breed.

[​IMG]Another pic of these two.

[​IMG]No clue on the breed, thinking it's a roo?

[​IMG]Ameraucana roo?

Thanks for your help!

2. tlcarnes2176

tlcarnes2176 Chillin' With My Peeps

1 Roo
    2 Hen
    3 + 4 ?
    5 Roo
    6 Roo

These are my guess.

3. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    buff orp girl
    phoenix or silver duckwing OEG? girl
    campine? girl
    gold laced wyandotte roo
    EE roo.

5. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

For the 2 unknown pullets the silver one is probably a Phoenix because of the leg color, the orange one looks like a Sicilian Buttercup. What color are her earlobes and what kind of comb does she have? If she has a single comb then I would guess that she is a Golden Campine.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What they said. Sebright, Gold laced Wyandotte and Easter eggers are roosters.

Looks like you need to either get rid of some roosters or make a bachelor pad for them. You have 4 roosters and 3 hens from what I see. Your hen's lives are going to get pretty miserable when those guys all start wanting to mate, and from the looks of things that will be pretty darn quick.

7. jillanddan

jillanddan Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2013
    Kansas
    It's happening now! We separated our BO out because we noticed today she was getting pretty ruffled and they were pecking a bald spot on her head! We're planning on separating the pullets out also now. Just need to figure out what to do with my roos.... should I keep one? The EE was pretty aggressive today, the Silver Seabright is sooo loud and "neurotic" as my neighbor likes to say.... They are so pretty I hate to get rid of them though!

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    You could keep one, i dont know if you live in town or not. I would get rid of any mean ones. if the Gold laced wyandotte is nice keep him, but if not keep the seabright. the good thing about bantam roosters is even if they are mean you can just flick them and they will knock it off lol. agressive LF rooster not so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by