Are these all sex links and what sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ben is a terror, Mar 1, 2013.

1. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    They all around 3 weeks old

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Because a lot of different chickens look similar to this at that age, it is too soon to tell.
    Where did you get them and what did they seller claim?

3. DURR

DURR Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    Screven, GA, US
    They look like Amber Sex-links. IF they are it looks like you have 3 pullets and 3 cockerals.

4. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    They came from Ideal I ordered 6 chicks 2 were sex links. They included males for warmth. Im still trying to figure out which are my 2 pullets and which are males for warmth

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It's likely that the body warmers are the whitish birds. But caution. To repeat, so many mixes and hatchery types look so similar to this at this point.

1,3,4 look to be production reds, or what hatcheries call Rhode Island Reds (but aren't). There is quite a bit of reddish streaking in the white birds that guessing, at this point, is to throw caution to the wind.

Here's the thing? At 6 weeks? You know for virtual certain. The cockerels will sprout little red wattles and pink, bright combs while the pullets will show nothing but dull, yellowish combs. You will know very, very soon.

See this cockerel among the pullets? You'll se this and you'll know for sure.

[​IMG]

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Wow, it would have been nice if they'd sent black sex link males so it would be obvious!

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    The two male SLs are the last two. They will come out mostly white when they feather, with flecks of red occasionally.

Your other birds look like production reds, which often come gender IDed.

8. rachlore

rachlore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2012
    Southern US
    It would be nice if they gave a clear visual to the pullets and cockerels.

9. Dagirls

Dagirls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    Moloaa, Kauai, HI
    They look like my production reds on the left side. My new batch is now 4 weeks old. Look similar

10. The Palm Family

The Palm Family Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2012
    I had a question on the red sex link I have a little over a week old baby chicks 4 of them are showing black feathers at the tips could those be roosters or is it possible they are hens?
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by