Are these all the supplies I need?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrstillery09, Mar 2, 2012.

1. mrstillery09

mrstillery09 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Sometime this weekend I will be getting my first ever batch of chicks! I am kind of ridiculously excited! I think I have everything needed, but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something important I don't have!

I have...

1. Brooder.
    2. Heat lamp.
    3. Pine shavings
    4. Paper towels to cover pine shavings.
    5. Chick starter
    6. Marbles
    7. Feed container
    8. Water container
    9. Thermometer
    10. Coop is nearly completed. Actually should be completed this weekend.

Is that everything? Well, besides the chicks! I also have to add when I first started reading this forum I thought people were crazy for talking about chicken math. At first I really didn't know how many chicks was good to get. My husband and I settled on 6, but I would be much happier with more. Then just yesterday he said he wasn't sure if 6 was enough. Who knows how many we'll actually bring home!!

2. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    I think you have it all. Some suggestions.... I much prefer using bedding pellets instead of pine shavings for chicks. It's a more solid floor covering and they're very absorbent. I just scoop out soiled sections from time to time, kind of like cat litter. No need to use paper towels with the bedding pellets. Also, if you use the chick size waterer I don't think marbles or pebbles are necessary. Either way you won't go wrong with what you have planned. Enjoy!

3. mrstillery09

Feb 9, 2012
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Thanks for the suggestion! I've heard talk of the pellets and may do that. Sounds like it may be a bit easier to keep clean.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    6 is a good number. With that many good layers you'll be selling some eggs each week. Our first year we got 7 thinking we'd get 5 eggs a week per pullet, Family of 2 adults 4 children. Was not the case, each would lay over a week straight before taking a day off then resume. All were great layers. It really matters what breed you get and if heritage or hatchery stock on how many eggs you'll get.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It helps to get it all set up a day or 2 before the chicks come, then right before they get there to warm up the brooder. You have to figure out where to hang the lamp that is safe, and put a top on the brooder so pets can't get at chicks. You'll want to dip their beaks in the water and food as soon as they come home so set that up, too. It helps to have a spare heatlamp bulb in case of breakage/burnout, plus smaller bulbs such as 100 watt and 60 watt if the temp gets too high when they are a week or 2 old. Remember to keep an area cooler than the recommended temp so they can get it if they are too hot.

6. mrstillery09

Feb 9, 2012
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Great advice! I will make sure everything is set up before hand. The brooder I'm using is an old rabbit hutch/cage. It's completely enclosed, I am planning on putting cardboard around it though so it's not all open. As to the amount of chickens one of the reasons we've thought of getting more is because although it's just my husband and I here on the farm, we have a pretty large family. My parents, plus I have three siblings all of which have children! I know they would also like eggs! I guess you can always get more chickens if you need them though!

7. chickenmanII

chickenmanII Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    Florida
    It's funny, you haven't got your chicks yet and chicken math is already at work. Good luck. And it sounds like you're ready.

8. Madjohn85

Madjohn85 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Central Jersey
    That is one of the reason we got some more. My parents, my daughter's family, my son's family. Maybe my neighbor...

Plus, seriously...how cute are they? And somuch fun. It can only get better.

9. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I think you have it covered. I also like pine bedding pellets much better than pine shavings. They are very easy to maintain and cleanup.

I disagree with the comment that marbles are not needed in a chick waterer. I use a chick waterer in my brooder. I put marbles or small rocks in it for the first week or two.

10. Elissa

Elissa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2012
    Orange County California
    I am with you! We are getting ours tomorrow! I have everything all set up too! Our coop (getting put together this weekend) has a recommendation of 3-5 large hens, so we will get 5. We did do some chicken math because originally, we were only going to get 4! LOL I can't wait to post pics!! Good luck with your babies!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by