Are these Ameraucanas or EE's?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickAddiction, Jun 15, 2009.

1. ChickAddiction

ChickAddiction Hatching

Jun 7, 2009
    This rooster and the 2 hens were sold to me as an Ameraucana trio from a chicken farmer. Now after reading about how much confusion there is over the Ameraucana/EE chickens, I wonder if I actually have EE chickens?? The hens both lay a pale green egg although sometimes one of them is a bit more khaki in color. It doesn't matter to me because I absolutely love these chickens! The hen with the whiter head (Audrey) lays really big eggs and we've had another chicken farmer asking to buy her from us but we won't sell her. The rooster is so docile but he's very alert and spends more time looking around while the hens are eating. He's also a great mate for the hens. [​IMG] If these are EE chickens, how can you tell? Sorry the pix aren't the greatest. They won't hold still long enough to get a good pic!TIA!

The rooster
    [​IMG]

Abby the hen (that's a plastic bag behind her head on the ground; we were feeding them treats to get them to pose!)
    [​IMG]

Audrey our favorite hen!
    [​IMG]

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    Lexington, KY
    They are EEs. There are only certain colors which can be considered Ameraucanas... check out their website for more information. www.ameraucana.org

FYI, many people sell EEs as Ameraucanas, most likely because the hatchery sold the birds to them as Ameraucanas.

3. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Songster

Feb 23, 2009
    What a pretty rooster and your girls are such cuties. They are EE's and I just love EE's. I have 9 EE's and 4 will be laying here in about 6 weeks, i am so excited. You just dont know what color of egg you will get from them! I am going to take a picture of each hen and the egg that she lays. I am hoping for blue, green, pink and aqua eggs...perhaps even a pink one. [​IMG]

4. HenHaven

HenHaven Songster

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    You have a beautiful trio of EEs there! Their coloring is gorgeous--I bet you will have a waiting list if you choose to sell their eggs for hatching! If I were in the market for EE eggs, I'd buy!!!

5. jossanne

jossanne Songster

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    They have all the typical EE traits: pea comb, green legs, muffs and beards, fun colors... they're gorgeous! Lucky you!

6. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    pretty chickens! The whole EE/Ameraucan thing confuses me too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: