Are these Americauna?

KansasKate

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
These should be Americaunas, but I haven't found any that look like this online.
95927_p1100111.jpg

What do you think? How would you describe their colors? (They are about 4 m o in this pic)

It gets rather confusing.
smile.png

Hatcheries and farm stores sell "americanas" and sometimes "ameraucanas". You are pretty much guaranteed that they are Easter Eggers (mutt chickens with a blue egg gene).

True breeders will sell you "ameraucanas". If it is a reputable breeder they will be TRUE ameraucanas, meaning that they fit the standards for color and form and whatnot. There are specific rules on accepted colors and breeding true and all that. Do a google search for the ameraucana breeders club. Their site can give you all the specifics.

Easter Eggers tend to have one ameraucana parent. Who knows what the other parent is? They come in an infinite combination of colors and can lay eggs in all shades of blue and green and sometimes pinkish. The variety is one of the fun parts of Easter Eggers and why so many of us love them.

The americana/ameraucana/easter egger battle tends to make people touchy, especially those that spend a lot of time perfecting their breeding lines of ameraucanas. There is nothing wrong with Easter eggers. They just aren't ameraucanas. Make sense?
smile.png

You have lovely Easter Eggers. I have one colored similarly who is a hoot!

Fantastic! Thank you thank you! I have no problem with them being EEs--I just want the colored eggs. I believe Orscheln sold them as Ameraucana (I got them second hand).

Now, the next question: what would you call that color pattern?

Since they are EE rather than a pure breed... there is no designated color pattern to my knowledge... we call this color pattern hawk at our house ! lol

Oh my, those beards are growing in so well! I can only imagine how fluffy their beards will get when they're done growing
love.gif

Enjoy them, I personally really love EEs, even if hatcheries frustrate me by mislabling them. It's equivalent to selling a red sex link to someone, and telling them that it's a pure Rhode Island Red.
barnie.gif

Post pictures of them at a year too! They're going to be beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom