Are these Americauna?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KansasKate, Jun 14, 2011.

1. KansasKate

KansasKate Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    These should be Americaunas, but I haven't found any that look like this online.
    [​IMG]
    What do you think? How would you describe their colors? (They are about 4 m o in this pic)

2. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Americana is another name for Easter Egger or "EE". [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  3. smirch9

smirch9 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    Yes they are.

4. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    They are Easter Eggers, not pure Ameraucanas. But they are very nice and should still lay you a pretty colored egg.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    It gets rather confusing. [​IMG]

Hatcheries and farm stores sell "americanas" and sometimes "ameraucanas". You are pretty much guaranteed that they are Easter Eggers (mutt chickens with a blue egg gene).

True breeders will sell you "ameraucanas". If it is a reputable breeder they will be TRUE ameraucanas, meaning that they fit the standards for color and form and whatnot. There are specific rules on accepted colors and breeding true and all that. Do a google search for the ameraucana breeders club. Their site can give you all the specifics.

Easter Eggers tend to have one ameraucana parent. Who knows what the other parent is? They come in an infinite combination of colors and can lay eggs in all shades of blue and green and sometimes pinkish. The variety is one of the fun parts of Easter Eggers and why so many of us love them.

The americana/ameraucana/easter egger battle tends to make people touchy, especially those that spend a lot of time perfecting their breeding lines of ameraucanas. There is nothing wrong with Easter eggers. They just aren't ameraucanas. Make sense? [​IMG]

You have lovely Easter Eggers. I have one colored similarly who is a hoot!

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Couldn't have said it better. [​IMG]

7. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Yep! Never heard it explained so well!
    Bravo! CityGirlintheCountry

8. KansasKate

KansasKate Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Fantastic! Thank you thank you! I have no problem with them being EEs--I just want the colored eggs. I believe Orscheln sold them as Ameraucana (I got them second hand).

Now, the next question: what would you call that color pattern?

9. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    Since they are EE rather than a pure breed... there is no designated color pattern to my knowledge... we call this color pattern hawk at our house ! lol

10. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Oh my, those beards are growing in so well! I can only imagine how fluffy their beards will get when they're done growing [​IMG]

Enjoy them, I personally really love EEs, even if hatcheries frustrate me by mislabling them. It's equivalent to selling a red sex link to someone, and telling them that it's a pure Rhode Island Red. [​IMG]

Post pictures of them at a year too! They're going to be beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by