Are these Americaunas chicks or Easter Eggers?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by animalwild, Apr 17, 2016.

1. animalwild

animalwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    I got these chicks from Runnings and was told they were Americaunas but most places I've read say they are Easter Eggers and not true Americaunas.[​IMG]

2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Most likely if bought from a hatchery wouldn't be an ameracauna, would be an EE, but maybe someone else has a better reply :)

3. animalwild

Jan 29, 2015
    Thank you I don't care what breed they are I'm just wondering bc I show them for 4-h so I want to have the right breed written down.

1 person likes this.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Easter egger.

I'm not sure if they're a show-able breed for 4-H. I think you can do them in showmanship, but you'll have to check with your leader if EE are permitted. They're not a proper breed and don't have a Standard to measure up to, so they may not be.

1 person likes this.
  5. Chicken5555

Chicken5555 Chillin' With My Peeps

I read that there is ONE 'official color' of Ameraucana has those markings as a chick... it is the one that sort of looks like 'wild-type' but has a lot of gray on it. The color is called 'silver'. If they look like baby turkeys at around 2 to 3 weeks, then they're EE chickens. Here is a picture of my EE chicks to show you what I mean.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  6. animalwild

Jan 29, 2015
    [​IMG]

Here is more of what their backs look like

7. puffypoo22

puffypoo22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2015
    Massachussetts
    i think it is an EE because usually ameraucanas don't look like that as chicks, i don't think...
    don't judge, i may be wrong. I have owned several ee but no true ameraucanas ;)

8. animalwild

Jan 29, 2015
    Thanks any information is helpful would they lay green or blue eggs either way

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Silver Ameraucana are very hard to find. You don't see them much at shows or see breeders offer them. You're not going to find one from a hatchery, sorry. there are silver/grey colored EE.

10. Chicken5555

Chicken5555 Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by