Are these Americaunas or EE?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Vedwards, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Vedwards

Vedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I bought two baby chicks at tsc yesterday and the sign said americauna pullets. So is americauna the same as EE, I notice the two look different. And can someone tell me that at least one of these will lay blue eggs?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  2. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    They are most likely easter eggers but you'll have to wait until the adult feathers come in. Theres a possibility they could be pure though. hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in.

3. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I would bet that any that are purchased through a feed store are EE's. The stores label the bins as Ameraucana even though they are a mix. I don't know why they do it that way---I asked at one of the feed stores doing this, but was told that the hatchery insisted on this labeling. It all just leads to confusion.
    There is a chance that your birds will lay blue eggs, but I have five, two different age groups, all different colors, and I get one light blue, one slightly olive green, one green, a pink-brown, and a brown egg from them. There is also the potential to get a white egg, though I've never known anyone to have that happen so far.
    You have some very cute little chicks.

4. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Dora'sMom has is right on. Hatcheries sell their EEs as Ameraucanas because they expect people won't know the difference. The only place I've come across that sells them acurately is My Pet Chicken. Because of this label however almost all feed stores label them the same. True purebred Amers have a very specific list of qualities they must conform to to meet the standard for the breed. Even pures that are a non standard color fall into the EE category most of the time (sometimes people call them non-standard Amers but that can be confusing to someone who doesn't know the difference). You can only get purebreds from a breeder (I think MPC sells hatching eggs they say are pure Amers but I don't know where they get them from). In general, EEs are fluffy faced chipmunk chicks that grow up to have green legs, usually muffs/beards, lay some form of blue/green egg and can be any color.

5. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    Theres no way youre going to get Ameraucana's at a feed store. Definately EE. BUT they should be very attractive, colorful birds! Mine are... except one... ugliest bird ive ever seen. ha

In my experience the feed store workers lack the knowledge to even know there is a difference between an EE and an ameraucana

6. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    and also, i didnt notice, but the second one doesnt even look like it has muffs. might be the angle though

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They're Easter Eggers.

Even if they did have slate legs, pea combs, full muffs and beard, and didn't come from a feedstore. . . .That down color does not match any recognized Ameraucana color.

8. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    oh yeah...didn't even pay attention that you got them from tsc...they are easter eggers lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by