Are these bad eggs? (Candling)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AtlantisPeeps, Jun 19, 2016.

1. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    I candled today and chucked the ones that looked unfertile. One was an early death as there was a blood spot on the yolk. These few I kept because I was unsure. What do you guys think? I put them on the other side of the incubator in case they exploded and put a cupcake wrapper under them in case they leaked so they wouldn't get stuck.

Sorry about the quality. My IPhone doesn't capture the best candling photos.

This one is 7 days old and looks unfertile to me-
    [​IMG]

This one is 9 days old. It looks like a blood ring to me, but I would be horrified if I chucked a live baby.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This is the confusing one. This one is 12 days old. I see the embryo but I don't THINK I see it moving. It also looks like there's something wrong with the veins and maybe a blood ring forming. I candled it a few days ago and it was fine and moving.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Personally, I would toss the first one and keep the other two unless they smell. Sometimes I candle and am unsure or think they are dead. I mark my eggs with a check mark, x, or question mark depending on what I see, and sometimes at later dates my x's and ?'s have moving embryos.

3. AtlantisPeeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    UPDATE: Today after candling again, I decided to take the plunge and do an eggtopsy on the two blue eggs.

The one that looked unfertile, was! Beautifully clear.

The one that looked like a blood ring, was! It was quite gross and goey. Just blood around the shell and some random blood spots. Thought I MAY have seen a tiny embryo but couldn't tell. Looks like it died on day 3 or 4. Not sure why. It didn't stink so it wasn't bacteria. Temp and humidity was fine. Well, I guess these things happen!

Anyway, I'm going to keep the brown egg until it stinks. Candles again today and still don't see any movement.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Good call on keeping the last egg. I'm glad you were right on the other two!

5. RanchRodeo

RanchRodeo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2016
    Iowa
    Thanks for sharing pics. New to this. Found some eggs outside of nest box. So really guessing on the 4 I have left. 2 exploded. Not pretty. Will do the candling again tonight.

6. AtlantisPeeps

May 19, 2014
    US

Good luck! [​IMG]

Lockdown is tomorrow so I'm hoping brown egg is alive. I candled again, and still no movement and looks really dead. Blood ring looks to be forming, but I will give it a chance!

7. AtlantisPeeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    LOCKDOWN!!!

So yesterday I traced the air cells on all the eggs, (including the one I think is dead) and today I checked them before lockdown and drew new air cell lines and predicted pip area. THE BROWN EGGS AIR CELL IS SLIGHTLY BIGGER. I think I saw it move slightly too. It doesn't look like all the others inside. It looks very dead. The little veining I do see is brown and looks split off. It doesn't fill the whole egg like the others and looks very brown inside. What I think I do see of the embryo looks about the size of a 10 day old- BUT THE AIR CELL IS BIGGER AND ITS MOVING.

I'm honestly freaked out. Someone help me figure this out. I feel like if it does hatch it's going to be a zombie or flipping mutant looking thing. I think I have a name for him too- Frankenstein.

8. Bukbuk Betty

Bukbuk Betty Out Of The Brooder

How did things go/going?? I'm having my first hatcb right now.... The candling pics posted here were really good, I wish I had taken pics when I candled mime as I really had little idea what I was looking at! My eggs are quite dark shelled so it was even harder to tell.

9. AtlantisPeeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    Well my whole hatch is going excellent! It's day 21 and I have 6 pips and 2 hatched! I was correct about these 3 eggs being bad. Frankenstein did not make any more progress and just looks very dead inside. I removed it from the incubator.

Good luck with your hatch! If you have some questions about candling feel free to message me. Apparently I pretty good at it lol.

10. Bukbuk Betty

Bukbuk Betty Out Of The Brooder

So, are the three bad ones the top three pics?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by