1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these Bantam Welsummers?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cassie0980, May 18, 2009.

1. cassie0980

cassie0980 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Western New York
    We recently inherited a pair of chickens that we know nothing about, obviously one hen and one rooster, but beyond that we're stumped. We have an idea but I don't want to taint perceptions, I'd just like to know if we're on the right track. Can anyone help us? We also have no idea of age, although they both have some frostbite on their combs, so they must have been around over this past winter. We haven't seen any eggs from the hen, but we've only had her for 2 days. Any help would be appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
  3. cassie0980

Mar 24, 2009
    Western New York
    Thanks SpringChickens for helping me upload photos! It took some of my husbands' computer knowledge to do it, but pictures posted none-the-less!

4. lux_interior

lux_interior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    not sure about the hen, but the roo looks like a red phoenix [​IMG]

5. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Look like Welsummers to me.

6. cassie0980

Mar 24, 2009
    Western New York
    How big do Welsummers get? These chickens look pretty small to me, but my only experience is with a RIR, Black Sexlink, Buff Orpington, and 4 EE's. We thought perhaps bantam Welsummers, but I don't know.

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    not welsummer, tail is completely wrong....

eta-my guess would be some type of game, old english game bantam?

8. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    They look like my standard welsummer, but my roos tail curls down, not standing straight up like that. The color and hen's feathers are right. Maybe the tail is in the bantam trait.

[​IMG]

Cheri

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    notice the angle of the tail on both? how about the short back? or the chest color being wrong for a welsummer? [​IMG]

10. cassie0980

Mar 24, 2009
    Western New York
    Thanks for all the posts! I think now that we've got a pair of OEGB, not exactly what we had hoped for, but not terrible either. Thanks again to everyone that put their two cents in, it was very helpful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by