Are these BANTAMS Silkies?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by USMC-CHICKENS, Mar 29, 2015.

1. USMC-CHICKENS

USMC-CHICKENS New Egg

Apr 24, 2014
    Hi,

We recently purchased 2 "Assorted Bantams" from Tractor Supply, we took them home & did some reserch and were excited to learn (or we thought we did) they were White Silkies, as you can see in the pics, 5 toes, black skin and now that the wings feathers are coming in they don't look like traduitional flight feathers, also they had feathers on their legs, but now appear to be losing them. Thanks for the help it's greatlty appreciated! Regardless they are absolutely the sweetest little chicks I have ever owned. They are just total cuddle-bugs!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Those look like Silkies to me.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree, they look like Silkies.

4. USMC-CHICKENS

USMC-CHICKENS New Egg

Apr 24, 2014
    Thanks for your reply. We just didn't see the puffy head and beard that we keep seeing online. And their wings looked fuller as well. the other one we have doesn't even have feathers on his/her feet. Any idea why tractor supply wouldn't have advertised them as willies? They just said assorted but they all looked the same to us

5. USMC-CHICKENS

USMC-CHICKENS New Egg

Apr 24, 2014
    Do you know if there are any other breeds that are similar to these or are you 100 percent certain they are white silkie bantams? do you know if these are bearded silkies or non bearded silkies we read that there could be both kinds, is that the only difference the beard is that a treat or are they completely different breedsthanks again in advance for your reply

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Nope, there are no other breeds besides Silkie that I can think of that have dark skin, five toes, and white silkied feathers. I don't have enough experience with Silkies to tell if yours are bearded or non-bearded, but I'm thinking that they're non-bearded. The beard is simply a varying trait that makes a Silkie a different variety when showing, but doesn't make a bird a different breed (both bearded and non-bearded Silkies are considered the Silkie breed).

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by