are these banties??? pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by miss_jayne, Jul 25, 2008.

1. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    breed? sex? anyone?

my son fell in love with a banty rooster at a friends home. we were at a farm the other day and saw more banties (i am assuming only because they are so tiny) when the owner said, "if he can catch 'em, he can have 'em."

they snagged up four...two black, and two multi-colored...i am not well versed in coloring, just good husbandry. any help identifying anything here would be helpful.

thanks all! they were free, but i offered the owners' grandson some money for rounding them up for my son when he couldn't catch them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the rooster is the fastest little thing on two legs...the Road Runner ain't got nothin' on that bird! i am assuming (yes, i know what that entails![​IMG] that there are two hens and a roo.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Yes, it is a bantam. Looks like maybe some type of Old English.

3. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    We will need pix to identify. There are many different breeds of bantam chickens. It was so nice of the guy to give your son some banties and very nice of you to give his son some money for catching them up.

Edited to say DUH![​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    all four? sexes? thanks for help![​IMG]

5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:it was a total freak thing. we stopped because they had a sign for free ducks. i just wanted to see what kind of ducks and their set up. my son spied the roo and said, 'momma, that is just like that little rooster mr. wells has!" so i asked the owner and then she said his dream to have one was coming true. how nice is that!!!

i felt it wasn't fair for them to give them away free, when they worked so hard to catch them and to do something nice for a stranger. my son has learning difficulties and is behind in school, so he gets teased, left out etc. he has found something he has a passion and i am so grateful.

6. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    There are some really nice people in this world and many of them own chickens. I am happy that you met one and that your son's dream came true. What a great day!

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:you know it! they have flown the fence and foraging around the yard. my dogs are yelling at them to 'get back in the chicken yard!' looks like DH may be building a tractor this w'end![​IMG]

8. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Looks like your son was meant to have these. Nice story. They look like OEG with maybe some dutch in there..Bantams are fun. Gotta build them a pen with a roof though, they are Great Flyers!

9. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by