Are these barred rock hens or roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by taranakichicken, Nov 26, 2009.

1. taranakichicken

taranakichicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2009
    Three months ago I bought three day-old barred rock chicks. Their names are Derek, Dulcie and Mildred. They were all supposed to be girls and the name Derek was just a joke because we thought he was the most masculine.
    However, the joke is turning out not to be so funny because SOMEBODY has started making suspicious crowing-like sounds in the morning.
    Not like cock-a-doodle-doo but more like ka-gaaaaar.
    We really need to know who is a he and who is a she. We live in town and simply can't have crowing! Pictures are below, please help!

This is the lovely Derek...what a darling

[​IMG]

And then we have Mildred (She's not very bright but quite sweet)

[​IMG]

And lastly, my favourite, Dulcie. She likes cuddles.

[​IMG]

Here is everyone together wrecking the back yard:

[​IMG]

I hope everyone can help!

2. They look like HENS to me. My barred hen looks just like 'em.

3. KB1PQP

KB1PQP Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2009
    New England
    the first one looks like a rooster to me

4. Hens4Fun

Hens4Fun Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    They look like my two hens. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] well, maybe the first one looks a bit rooish in stature .... but not entirely convinced.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    All look like boys to me. I see saddle feathers on all 3 of them.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  6. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Sorry, I have to agree with halo. They all look rooish to me. I see saddle feathers and they are lighter than the hens usually would be. [​IMG] (I could be wrong though).

7. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    I would say little roo's [​IMG]

8. Rock N' Faverolles

Rock N' Faverolles Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    The top one is a female, and the bottom two are males. Another way to tell is that if they are the same age, the males always feather out slower, and that is why the bottom two have virtually no tails yet.

David

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sorry, they are ALL roosters, trust me. My favorite breed. However, the first one has odd barring around the head (too whitish) and whitish legs, so could be a cross, or just a poor quality BR.

10. ItsSuzzie

ItsSuzzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, looks like the club in general feel you have little Roos. If you bought them from a feed store, they probably ordered them as straight run. When that happens they tend to get more males.

I can't tell and that has always been my problem with easter eggers. [​IMG] Males walk more upright, females more square to the ground. Males have saddle feathers and that is what some members see. I looked and did not see saddle feathers, but that is just me. Hens have a rounded feather end and Roos are more pointed. I use another way to tell and so far it has panned out to be correct. I check the distance in the birds hip bones. I have found the hens have a spread between the hip bones that will almost allow my finger fullly between the bones and roos have a smaller, close space. Ok, that works for me buy may not be accurate.

I am sorry if your little chicks grow up into roosters, I do have some sweet Roosters in my group of birds.
    Good luck to you.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by