1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

are these barred rocks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bluefeather2697, Feb 24, 2012.

1. bluefeather2697

bluefeather2697 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    need ur help guys. :D
    just want to make sure

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. zeely

zeely Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    they look more like black sexlinks. barred rock roosters would have clearer, finer barring. but it's possible.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Agree. With the black sex link, the cockerel offspring look similar to the Barred Rock parent hen, while the pullets look all black with red breast leakage from the RIR rooster parent.

4. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    just wondering, y do you have so many roosters? do they fight?

5. Fred's Hens

The date on the photo is stamped from last year. The OP didn't say whose the birds were, but if they were the OP's, the question wouldn't likely be asked about the breed.

6. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    sorry lol makes sense haha

7. bluefeather2697

bluefeather2697 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    hoho. :D they're not mine. they're from a farm that sells these male birds for meat (roasting).
    they also sell female barred rocks, BSL, golden comets, amber links. just wondering where the males are.
    these are probably it, but im confused, male barred rocks or BSL?

i hope they are BRs. i want to breed BRs on my own. :D

8. Fred's Hens

[​IMG]

Believe me, I breed BR and BSLs. Those males are NOT Barred Rocks. They are males of the Black Sex Links. If this farm breeds Black Sex Links, they get money for the pullets but the males are only good for meat birds. Note the golden tones all over those birds. A pure BR rooster has zero gold tones. The barring is too white around the neck, and the body barring is uneven, mottled and messy. The leakage of gold/red is the give-away. No indeed. These are not Barred Rock cockerels. We have a pen full of these BSL cockerels and they are twins to what you posted in that photo.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Nope, those look like black sex links. I'm with Fred, Barred rocks barring is more even.

Here is a pure BR cockerel - don't have an older one of him, he was invited to dinner.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. mhn1957

mhn1957 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    McDermott, Ohio
    [​IMG]
    Here are a couple of my Barred Rock Girls finishing off their Memorial Day picnic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by