Are these berries safe?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by P-Funk, Jul 19, 2011.

1. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    The 3 month olds have discovered a small bush in the confines of their newly fenced driveway with 6 gardens in it. This bush was not planted by me and has to be wild. The tiny red berries have the consistency of a tomato but don't taste like much of anything. I wouldn't give them anything besides layer feed that I wouldn't eat myself. If you look closely you can see them buried in there.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
  3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Some close up pictures would help, of the leaves & berries.

It kind of looks like Poorman's Gooseberry.
    Does it have thorns? Strong big thorns?
    Are the berries pale green turning red, kinda striped like watermelon?

If it is a gooseberry, perfectly edible, and sweeter than the traditional green gooseberry.

Imp

4. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    Thanks, Holly. There weren't any of these on the link you posted. IMP, here's a close up. The girls already ate as much as they could reach before jumping over the fence and wandering off into the yard. It appears 400' of fence wasn't enough [​IMG][​IMG] I should add we live @ 7000' on the Palmer Divide in Colorado, where wierd plants and animals, namely birds, aren't wierd at all.

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Yes, definitely a gooseberry. Perfectly safe for everyone, makes an awesome pie. The ones in the photo are only partially ripe -- when they get dead ripe, they'll be darker, soft, and slightly wrinkled, and generally very sweet.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Yeah that looks like a gooseberry. I just picked mine last night. On my Poorman's the berries get darker, almost dark purple. Green gooseberries are very sour, the red ones are supposed to be sweeter.
    Be careful of the thorns. [​IMG]

Imp

7. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Wish I had one of those in my yard.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by