Are these blue Australorps? 20 weeks old, lots of pictures.

Jadesun6

Songster
6 Years
Apr 20, 2017
Yucca, Arizona
So we picked up 4 grey fuzzy chicks back in August. We were told they were black australophs. I'm relatively new to chickens and didn't care what they were they were so adorable! One was lighter then the other three. You can see him in the 2nd picture.
20170919_124703.jpg
20170919_121022.jpg

So I believe all 4 are roos. So I'm thinking 3 are blue austrolps and 1 is a splash.
Here they are about a couple months ago.
20171118_160441_001.jpg
20171118_160331.jpg

Here they are about a month ago.
20171209_140154.jpg

I believe this might be a splash?
20171209_083501.jpg

And here are some from today. Sorry they were taken from the deck, looking down.
Rooster 1: splash?
20180116_164348.jpg

20180116_164417.jpg
20180116_164637.jpg

Rooster 2
20180116_165156.jpg

Rooster 3&4
20180116_165234.jpg

So what do you think? Are they blue austrolps and a splash? Thank you for your time and help.

Attachments

• 20171209_140202.jpg
    20171209_140202.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 15
I think Rooster 1 is a pullet.
Australorps come in black, blue, and one other color, but I don't think it's splash.
I don't think these are Australorps. They have the body but...
Eh, maybe. I've never seen a blue Australorp so I wouldn't be the expert!

Thank you so much for your help. I was pretty sure i was right about sex and colors. Just not sure about the breed. They were from tractor supply which came from Privett hatchery. They do list blue austrolp as breeds they have. I dont think i saw blue Orpingtons listed. I'll double check that.

I'm here in AZ. and I have some of these. Mine are a combination of the Hupp and Rattlesnake Ridge lines, not from the hatcheries. The original B/B/S Australorps were started right here in Arizona! They come on Black, Blue, and the Splash colors. I have heard that there is also a white colored Australorp, but I have yet to see a real one. The rooster shown in my avatar here, is a Splash Australorp. The Blues can be in various shade of blue, depending on color genetics of how the parents were bred.

Thank you so much for your help. I was pretty sure i was right about sex and colors. Just not sure about the breed. They were from tractor supply which came from Privett hatchery. They do list blue austrolp as breeds they have. I dont think i saw blue Orpingtons listed. I'll double check that.

Yes, Privett hatchery has some of them now! :)

I think Rooster 1 is a pullet.
Australorps come in black, blue, and one other color, but I don't think it's splash.
I don't think these are Australorps. They have the body but...
Eh, maybe. I've never seen a blue Australorp so I wouldn't be the expert!

The other color is definitely splash.

The color blue is actually a combination of two different variations of the black color gene. Obviously, there is the common, everyday black. Then there is a mutated allele, which is known as blue. It's still the same gene, it just has a mutation that makes it paler. Every chicken has two copies of the black color gene. They may have the blue and the black allele, or two blue alleles, or two black alleles.

The blue allele dilutes the true black allele when they are combined in the same bird. This makes what we know as blue. Black and black together make what we know as black. Two blue alleles of the black gene in the same chicken make splash, which is often known as "true blue" because it breeds true. Regular blue does not breed true because it is a combination of two different colors, and when two blues make babies, some of them are going to be black and some of them will be blue and some of them will be splash.

9795742_orig.jpg

You can only get what we call "blue" if your population includes the blue allele--and that eventually results in splash birds unless you only breed blue and black to each other, and never blue and blue.

The other color is definitely splash.

The color blue is actually a combination of two different variations of the black color gene. Obviously, there is the common, everyday black. Then there is a mutated allele, which is known as blue. It's still the same gene, it just has a mutation that makes it paler. Every chicken has two copies of the black color gene. They may have the blue and the black allele, or two blue alleles, or two black alleles.

The blue allele dilutes the true black allele when they are combined in the same bird. This makes what we know as blue. Black and black together make what we know as black. Two blue alleles of the black gene in the same chicken make splash, which is often known as "true blue" because it breeds true. Regular blue does not breed true because it is a combination of two different colors, and when two blues make babies, some of them are going to be black and some of them will be blue and some of them will be splash.

9795742_orig.jpg

You can only get what we call "blue" if your population includes the blue allele--and that eventually results in splash birds unless you only breed blue and black to each other, and never blue and blue.
Thank you! This was really informative.
Unfortunately "still learning" only goes so far when trying to help others... but I try!

I'm here in AZ. and I have some of these. Mine are a combination of the Hupp and Rattlesnake Ridge lines, not from the hatcheries. The original B/B/S Australorps were started right here in Arizona! They come on Black, Blue, and the Splash colors. I have heard that there is also a white colored Australorp, but I have yet to see a real one. The rooster shown in my avatar here, is a Splash Australorp. The Blues can be in various shade of blue, depending on color genetics of how the parents were bred.
Boy is he pretty! Thats very interesting to here. How long have you had them? We had not really considered Austrolps but they were so cute! They weren't labeled on what they were in the bin and when I asked I was flashed the black austrolp sign. So I wasn't real confident in that! So far they are very nice. I think i might rethink the breeds i was going to get this year! Thank you for the information. I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom