Are these bones okay for dogs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, May 24, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We finally got a real grocery store in town, with a real meat dept. Previously the only place in town to buy groceries was walmart.
    We asked the butcher at the new store to save us bones for the dogs. He said he would, but warned that they would mostly be small bones. This store is an offshoot of one in Oklahoma and most of their meat comes already packaged from the OK store.
    We went there today and the butcher gave us roughly 10 lbs. of bones, but they are smallish, like the triangular shape tips, maybe 3 - 4" long, off the end of a rack of ribeyes. Lots of good marrow in them.
    Are these okay to give to the dogs, several small pieces at a time?

Also, we shouldn't give the dogs any pork bones correct?

TIA [​IMG]

2. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    I guess it depends on how large around the bones are. 3-4" bones seem small for your two Large Sheps. I would hesitate to give them to my larger dogs. If they are large around I might consider it, but that small of a bone dogs have been known to swallow whole....seems too small for me.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've always given something larger, like big soup bones. What else do they call those? Knuckle bones, maybe?

4. NancyinAlaska

NancyinAlaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Willow Alaska
    I've got 23 dogs and sometimes get caribou bones from local butcher, some are a couple of inches around and 3-5 inches long, no problems, I feed bones often and have never had any problems, chicken bones are ok too, ONLY if they ARE NOT COOKED.

5. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    No small pointy PORK bones. no!! Now, you CAN give your dogs raw chicken bones [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  6. pardenx3

pardenx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Talladega, Alabama
    I feed ours raw, and I don't feed any that small.

7. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Oops, double post.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  8. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    thinkign about size, yes we give ours bones that tiny and smaller. Think turkey necks and chicken wings.
    But it is poultry and not livestock bones.
    I would be hesitant only because bovine bones are a lot tougher than poultry.

9. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I am an emergency veterinary technician. Your largest concern with feeding raw bones should be pancreatitis. Not the size of the bones. If your dogs are not used to getting all of that extra fat and protein from raw bones, they can cause a very painful, expensive therefore often deadly problem. With that said, I feed my dogs the occasional raw bone or two and have never had a problem. I do see many cases where owners feed these bones to their dogs all of the time and for some reason they get pancreatitis. It is really a large risk that you alone need to decide what is best for you and your dogs.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks y'all.
    I guess I should have mentioned that both dogs are used to getting bones. We usually give them whole chicken leg quarters (raw), but liked having the opportunity to give them some beef bones for a change.
    Neither dog is what I call a gobbler, they take their time eating especially the pup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by